with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, July 24, 2011

Swede Alex Noren wins Nordea Masters...in Sweden !

On a day when all of Canada is hoping Adam Hadwin can win our national champonship, Alex Noren of Sweden has just won his, the Nordea Masters by 7 shots in high winds just outside Stockholm..

europeantour.com  Alex Noren may not have reproduced his majestic third round display at the Nordea Masters, but he still registered a comprehensive seven shot victory.
The 29 year old, who was quite brilliant in setting a course record 63 on Saturday, carded a closing 77 for a 15 under par aggregate of 273 at Bro Hof Slott.

Having birdied the first, Noren then had five bogeys and a double bogey at the 14th, but successfully negotiated the fearsome par three 17th, which has an island green with a stroke average of 4.78 !!

After signing off with a birdie at the last he said: "I am so relieved. The only thing I thought of all day was the 17th I said it doesn't matter how I play up to that, I just have to survive 17 and I did.

"I've never seen wind like this in Sweden. Every hole was super tough and even downwind it was hard to choose the clubs."

Speaking about winning on home soil, Noren added: "It's even more amazing at home, everyone cheering you on and you don't really feel that somewhere else.It's amazing, you see some friendly faces in the crowd and it's unbelievable. I'm very happy."

With an 11 shot advantage at the start of the day Noren was never likely to be caught – nobody had ever come from more than ten shots behind in the final round to win a European Tour event.

England’s Richard Finch was the only man to break par in strong winds, his three under 69 good enough for second place.

For a full scoreboard click on European Tour

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles

No comments:

Post a Comment