with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, October 28, 2018

Schauffele beats Finau in playoff to win WGC HSBC Champions

WGC HSBC Champions final scoreboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018086/leaderboard/index.html#/results

2017 Rookie of the Year, Xander Schauffele birdied his last two holes to catch Tony Finau, then birdied the par 5 18th in a sudden death playoff for his first win of the year, the 3rd of his young career. Finau found a bunker with his drive and had to lay up.

Schauffele's  -4 68 was the low score of the day at this WGC HSBC Champions in Shanghai and it was worth 550 Fed Ex Cup points and well over $1 million dollars. He also moves in 4th place in the Race To Dubai.

"I felt like I was playing great all day," he said. "We kept our heads down. Even when I was signing my card I was like, 'oh, wow, I actually went birdie-birdie to get in the play-off'. I was just in my own world out there. It means a lot, it was my birthday this week. To have my family out here, especially with the win, it's really special."

Defending champion Justin Rose (72) was 3rd at -10. That meant that a successful title defence is still missing from Rose's remarkable golfing CV, something he is hoping to put right with two more defences coming up soon, starting with next week's Turkish Airlines Open.

 
Adam Hadwin shot 75 to end up T30 +3.


Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment