with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, March 10, 2018

Quietly confident Corey Connors leads the Valspar Championship

PGA Tour Valspar Open leaderboard https://www.pgatour.com/competition/2018/valspar-championship/leaderboard.html

Today Tiger Woods (68) and Brandt Snedeker (68) will be in the penultimate group at -4, with the usual huge Tiger throng of thousands lining the fairways and greens of this Valspar Championship rushing and jostling for positions to get a glimpse of the man who is writing a sensational comeback, with the Masters and Phil Mickelson etal just a month away.

However the man they will be chasing just happens to be our quietly confident Canadian, Corey Connors, unflustered by all the commotion with rounds of 67 69 -6, he leads by 2 shots going into this weekend.

He played the course backwards starting on #10 and made the turn after 3 birdies 33, and said this afterwards " I got off to a nice start, felt like I was probably in the lead, but so what?. Lots of holes still to play, I really wasn't worried about what the other guys were doing "

If it wasn't for a 3 putt double on the 4th he'd be leading by more, however he really wasn't fazed. "Something that I think I've always been good at getting over pretty quickly"

He will play today with another quiet guy, England's Paul Casey (68) in the final group and it's the first time he has held the 36-hole lead on the PGA tour.

" The nice thing is that there are a ton of Canadians at this resort, and I'm feeling their love. I'm happy with everything in my game. The biggest thing that's helped me is having the ball in play and giving myself a chance to attack some of the pins whenever possible which is a big key on this golf course."

Defending champion Adam Hadwin is also going along nicely, 71 70 -1 T21 and he'll be paired with Branden Grace today at 12.15.

Mac Hughes, Ben Silverman and Nick Taylor all MC as did Rory McIlroy and Henrik Stenson

With Tiger, Snedeker, Palmer etal right on his heels nobody expects this kid from Listowel to win this week, nobody but Corey Connors who may not win, but wouldn't surprise himself if he did !!

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment