with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, March 4, 2018

Coetzee wins Tshwane Open on home course in Pretoria

European Tour Tshwane Open final scoreboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018021/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

George Coetzee won his second Tshwane Open title as a brilliant birdie burst on the back nine handed him victory in Waterkloof.

The South African is a member at Pretoria Country Club and entered the final round with a two-shot lead, although he found himself two behind Finn Mikko Korhonen after two early bogeys.

He then delivered a putting masterclass, needing just ten strokes on the greens to birdie five of his next eight holes from the eighth and open up a three-shot advantage before play was suspended due to thunder and lightning at 3.37pm.

The final four groups returned to the course an hour and 34 minutes later and, despite a further 17-minute delay, Coetzee held his nerve to card a 67, stay at 18 under and finish two shots ahead of England's Sam Horsfield. Horsfield moved from England to Florida when he was 4 eventually playing 2 years for the Florida Gators before leaving to turn pro.

The victory is Coetzee's fourth on the European Tour,  all of those coming on African soil, and his second on his home course after his triumph in 2015. Coetzee who has lost over 50lbs in weight had this to say after his round.
 
"A lot has happened since the last time I held that trophy. I broke my ankle and I kind of needed to show myself that I could win on Tour again and it's nice to come and do it again in front of the home crowd. They were amazing, I don't think I could have done it without everybody out here supporting me the whole week."
 
Bryan Angus
(europeantour.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment