with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, November 3, 2019

Rory's the Story winning the WGC HSBC Champions

WGC HSBC Champions leaderboard https://www.pgatour.com/competition/2020/wgc-hsbc-champions/leaderboard.html

" If I can shoot four 67's I think I'll be tough to beat"

Those words from Rory McIlroy after his third round at this WGC HSBC Champions, and how true they proved to be. Playing the most consistent golf of his career he could only manage a par at the 72nd hole after a bad lie from his tee shot, settling for a 68 while a superb but sick Xander Schauffele birdied it for 66 and a tie at -19.

In the playoff Rory played what he called " two of the best shots of the week" a massive 350 yard drive way down the fairway then a towering 4 iron to 20'.

Schauffele drew his drive into the rough around the fairway bunker and had to lay up.

Rory made birdie, Schauffele par and it was over.

" I'm taking 2 months off after my next event in Dubai so I really wanted one more win before I leave so it feels really good to get this done"

The win, his 3rd WGC and 14th on the European Tour puts him on top of the Fed Ex Cup standings for 2020.

Louis Oosthuizen was alone in 3rd at -17. Corey Connors had 5 birdies in a row, shot 66 to finish T20 at -8. For Adam Hadwin it  was a tale of two half's. 74,77 then 69 68 on the weekend.



Bryan Angus


No comments:

Post a Comment