with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, May 16, 2011

Coppinwood is flourishing under President Kevin Thistle

" Take Major Mac east to the end, north on Durham 30 to Webb Street, east to concession 4, north 2 driveways" were my instructions from the best golf manager in the business, in my opinion Kevin Thistle...

I could feel the city stress draining from my body as I turned onto the roller coaster ride called Webb Street, cut through the farmlands just minutes from the hassle called the 404..

It got even better when I turned through the main gates on Concession 4, exactly 50k from my front door in Don Mills...

These guys who work here need to be reminded I said to myself, how lucky they are to be employed by the 38 wealthy guys who bought this beautiful course..

As I fought to find a parking spot and saw all the carts and hustle and bustle I thought this looks like Angus Glen on a tourney day, and it was...

Kevin Thistle spent 16 years building Angus Glen, one of this country's most successful "Public' courses...

Not public like Tam O'Shanter, but Public like $175 per round.. 2 Canadian Men's Opens and 1 Women's etc etc...

Kevin and I have known each other since the late Art Stollery, Kev and I sat at the driving range when the new South Course was getting set to open in the mid 1990's

Kevin with his "customer is king" attitude was da man responsible for the enormous success that is Angus Glen, and he leaves them in great shape..

However 3 years ago Coppinwood, a private course NE of Angus Glen was in  trouble.
The course cost some $29m to build and was not attracting members..

38 wealthy members bought the course for less than half the price and turned to the best in this business Kevin Thistle to manage it.

Kevin has adapted, going from 4 tournaments a day plus members use to 1 tourney a week on Monday's then members only the rest of the time..

When he took over there were 150 members, now there are 375 near the max.. Now tourney's are lined up, all a great cash flow, all due to Kevin's contacts..

You may never play this private course but I will tell you for those like Sportsnet's Darren Millard have a golfing heaven to enjoy...

For a start there are 3 practice holes, not practice ranges, but holes.... And there are 4 different practice areas. Amazing...

The course itself is hilly and demanding and beautiful and the clubhouse to me is a 7 out of 10 but has all the amenities

Kevin has already put his mark on this beautiful track, but also feel he has more to do to get the most out of this course and his staff...Like a Canadian Open ??

Question is will his members let him ??

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles

No comments:

Post a Comment