with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, November 12, 2010

What ever happened to Graham Gunn ??

Recently I wrote about the great story surrounding one of this country's unsung golf pros, Rod Spittle who along with his wife gave up their jobs and home to pursue his dream of making it to the Champions Tour
 You all know by now that Rod did Monday qualify for the AT&T Championship in San Antonio 2 weeks ago, then hit the jackpot when he beat Jeff Sluman in a playoff to gain his card for next year !!

A couple of weeks before that, another Canadian, Graham Gunn's name popped up, as it does from time to time, on the British Senior Tour, when he placed 2nd in the Sicilian Open, and some of you emailed me to find out where Graham was these days.. Graham is from the same era as Rod and he is also a former winner of the CPGA National Club Professional and Senior Championships, was the Head Professional at the Carleton Golf & Yacht Club for a decade and of course played on our Canadian Tour..


I tracked Graham down in Ottawa, and here is the result of our interview..


Bryan : You must have been elated when you saw the news about Rod winning in Texas..

Graham We were so excited for Rod and Annie Spittle with his win. They are good friends of ours. We basically embarked on this journey about the same time. That is how we met. Like them we sold our home. Our children are all grown up so out we went to give it our best shot. Like anything, without sufficient funding it is tough. Ask anyone who has tried it. You are always telling yourself, 'This is the week. I'm getting closer." I have the greatest wife on the planet. She endured the whole thing. Caddying , travelling. co-ordinating, praying, while I was out practicing.

Bryan : How did you qualify for the Sicilian Open ?



Graham I qualified for the Sicilian Sr Open through my conditional status on the European Senior Tour. I've played in 5 events this year including the British Senior Open at Carnoustie. That happens to be the minimum number you must play in a season in order to maintain your Order of Merit status for next year. My finish moved me from 88 to 64. Had I decided to go back to Q school I would have been exempt into the finals. I promised my wife that after 4 years without a sponsor , spending our own money, that I would forgo Q school and play with the conditional status my ranking would give me.
 
Bryan : Listeners to our Fairways Show and readers of this have often asked me where you are these days ?

Graham :The last 2 years I have been teaching here in Ottawa at " The White Sands Golf & Practice Center" It has allowed me the flexibility to schedule my time and play when an event came along. It's a wonderful facility and very busy. Graham Cook designed our 9 holes. When I am in town I am always busy teaching and quite passionate about it. I am running a winter golf school, for the first time there, this winter starting in January. 1-613-837-4653

Bryan : What is the game plan for 2011 ??

Graham : This year is still up in the air. God willing, I will get called to play in a good number of tournaments but I will be content to keep doing what I'm doing. Spending time with my dear wife, teaching and sharing my experiences with my students and staying ready for that call...."Mr Gunn , we have an opening in this upcoming event."

Bryan : Rod mentioned he had some sponsors to help he and Annie out at first when they set off. Who is your sponsor ??

Graham :To this day I have no sponsor(s) so I have to be careful where and how many events I play in. My students are many and I love what I do. The facility is very supportive of me and my playing and I would never take them for granted. The quest continues, however, to find a sponsor. I would be nice to keep the dream alive while I am still able and healthy.

Bryan : All the best Graham, I will keep in touch, as well as pupils, you still have some fans out there who will be delighted when they read this about you..


Bryan Angus  bryanangus4@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment