with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy 75th Gary Player !!

Meant to post this yesterday as Gary turned 75 on November 1

He has always meant a lot to me ever since he won the Masters in 1961 and of course all those made for TV ' Big Three" golf specials when he was always miles behind Jack and Arnie but still managed to beat them from time to time with his great 3 and 4 woods and of course his wonderful short game, he was the world's best bunker player for years

One story that exemplifies him for me if I may..

Back in my one of early years producing Fairways, our golf show, I decided to go for broke and invite all the big names to give me a call and tape an interview... Augusta is old school and once I found out the number for the clubhouse and the nice lady who answered that phone I was all set. You call her, she writes the message by hand, gives it to the clubhouse volunteer who puts it on the players locker,,

I left my work, cell and home numbers and I called her 20 times.. Messages for Jack, Arnie, Weiskopf, Miller, Faldo, Norman etc etc etc, and of course Gary Player...

All of those messages went into the trash I assume except one.. My phone rang at home and I heard " May I speak to Bryan Angus, this is Gary Player "

I checked my watch it was 8.15pm.. Wednesday evening.. Was one of the guys at work playing a joke ?? Sure I said, and this is Santa Claus !!  

Well Santa, this really is Gary Player, how can I help you !!!

Stunned, I said well we would love to tape an interview for my golf show here in Toronto

Ok, let's do it right now !!

I was at home and neither Scott nor Bob were anywhere near a studio.. Could we do it tomorrow ??

Well I play late tomorrow so call me at this number at 9am !!

I did,  and it was one of many interviews the wee man granted me over the years

So I asked him Mr Player, you are the only one to phone me back out of all my requests, thank you, but why did you call ??

Bryan, why wouldn't I ? you took the time to contact me, the least I could do is return your call !!

That is Gary Player in a nutshell folks and that's why I take this  time to join millions around the world who wish him a HAPPY 75th
 
Bryan Angus   bryanangus4@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment