Rory McIlroy is among a host of Major champions in the chasing pack eyeing a big Sunday finish at the BMW PGA Championship.
The Northern Irishman produced a birdie-eagle finish to his third-round 69 at Wentworth Club to make his presence felt on a high-calibre leaderboard as he bids to win the prestigious tournament for a second time - 12 years on from his first - and claim a record-equalling fifth Rolex Series title.
With surprise 54-hole co-leaders Filippo Celli and Manuel Elvira both awaiting an elusive DP World Tour title, career Grand Slam winner McIlroy is excited by the chance to chase the duo down as he bids to take a big step towards a record-equalling eighth Race to Dubai victory at the season end.
"I have a big opportunity tomorrow on both fronts," he said. "I'd love to win this tournament again. It's been a long time, 12 years.
"I have so many great memories of Wentworth in general. I came here for the first time as a 10-year-old to watch the World Match Play all the way back in the day.
"It was always at half-term. I always came with my mum and dad and watched this one.
"Fast forward, I've won this event. I've played a lot here and we now have a house on the estate as well. This place has a lot of history for me.
"Hopefully I have a good chance and give myself a real chance at it again."
The top 20 on the leaderboard are separated by just four shots, with JJ Spaun, Adam Scott, Ryan Fox, Aaron Rai, Matt Fitzpatrick along with McIlroy all boasting Major wins and firmly in the mix.
Spaun, who is making his debut in the $9million tournament, won the U.S. Open last year and has spoken of his desire to play a more global schedule going forward and he could become the third American winner after Arnold Palmer and Billy Horschel to win this title.
He mixed five birdies with one bogey to card a 68 on Saturday to get to -12, one ahead of McIlroy and one back of the leaders.
Established among the leading players in the world, Spaun is aware of the history attached to one of the DP World Tour's most prized titles.
"It would mean a lot," he said of the chance ahead of him. "I think winning outside of America would be really awesome to putt on my resumé and especially my family vacation here quite a bit, so we love coming over across the pond.
"To add a trophy from one of our favourite places in the world would be a really good treat."
Few are more experienced in the game than Scott, with the Australian this week making what is his 11th appearance at this event on the 25th anniversary of his debut.
On Friday, the 46-year-old described this event - along with THE Players Championship, the PGA Tour's flagship event, and his home open in Australia - as his top three outside of the Majors.
"It would be so special. I rate this tournament so highly," the 2013 Masters winner said. "I've enjoyed playing here for a lot of years now, and with strong connections to European golf, I would love to etch my name into the history here at Wentworth."
Fox, who won the Open Championship in July, won this title in 2023 and shot a 70 to get to -10, with this year's US PGA Championship winner Rai and fellow Englishman Fitzpatrick a shot further back after rounds of 72 and 67 respectively.
europeantour.com
Bryan Angus (edit)
No comments:
Post a Comment