with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, September 14, 2026

It's Lowry and all of Ireland...Amgen Irish Open...Final results

    DP World Tour: Amgen Irish Open   Leaderboard 

Shane Lowry stormed to his second Amgen Irish Open success after making history with a record 11-shot triumph at Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, Ireland, Doonbeg.

Shane Lowry-2295073494

The 39-year-old took control following a course-record 62 on Friday and he put the pedal to the floor on Sunday after earning a four-shot lead into the final round.

Birdies at the first, fifth, seventh and eighth saw him extend his advantage to seven at the turn as the rest of the field fought for the runner-up spot behind the 2019 Open Championship winner.

Four further gains saw him finish with a superb 63 and a -23 total as he added more home soil glory following his memorable victory as an amateur in 2009 at County Louth.

Patrick Reed and Joaquin Niemann were his closest rivals at -12 as Lowry eclipsed the largest margin of victory at this event set by Bernhard Langer at Portmarnock Golf Club in 1987 with a 29-foot birdie at the last.

"This year has been quite difficult on the course for me, I had a few chances to win and had some really tough times," he said.

To come here this week and do this, I don't do things by half measures. I can't believe I'm standing here with that leaderboard.

"A lot of things went right for me, but this has been the most spectacular week. Just everything about it, it's just mad. I can't believe it.

"When things aren't going well at this level, it's hard at home as well and my wife and kids have been a huge support and I love them so much. I'm so happy, this is for them.

"I can't wait to bring a trophy home, my daughter keeps asking 'when will you bring a trophy home?'. So yes, I can bring one home.

"Honestly I'm speechless, it's hard to talk, I just can't believe I've just done that and done it the way I've done it as well."

Lowry finished his front nine with only his sixth dropped shot of the week, however, he bounced back with a tap-in birdie at the tenth to regain his eight-shot lead.

It soon became ten in front thanks to a brilliant tee-shot into the par-three 14th for another birdie before adding a 44-foot effort from the fringe at the next.

The World Number 53 finished with a magical putt at the last to complete a brilliant triumph on home soil.

Reed could not add to his early burst as he parred his final eight holes to finish on -12 with Niemann mixing four birdies and a dropped shot to also reach that mark.

Denmark's Rasmus Neergaard-Petersen hit an eagle and five birdies in his blemish-free 63 to sit in solo fourth at -11.

Italian Gregorio De Leo was also flawless in his 63 to sit one shot back with Tom McKibbin, while England's Alex Fitpatrick and Olesen shared seventh at -9 and Scotland's Ewen Ferguson and Swede Jens Dantorp were a stroke further adrift -8

As well as a seventh DP World Tour crown, Lowry also took home $30,000 for the Course Record presented by Nexo with his -8 62 in round two.


No comments:

Post a Comment