with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, September 24, 2026

Michael Kim begins his French Open title defense.... 18 hole results..Friday TEE TIMES

  DP World Tour : FedEx French Open  Tee Times Leaderboard

American Michael Kim won Continental Europe's oldest national open on his debut last year at Golf de Saint-Nom-La-Bretèche, while course renovations took place at long-time host venue Le Golf National.

New course, same result - Michael Kim makes 'dream' start to French defence

But after a near two-year transformation, driven by the construction of the Grand Paris Express metro project, the historic tournament returns to the venue of the 2018 Ryder Cup and 2024 Olympic Games golf competitions.

Since it last staged France's national open, the Albatros course at Le Golf National has undergone a redesign to holes four, five and six, while remodelled greens, bunkers and a new championship tee on the 15th form part of further enhancements.

Today he began his title defence with a resounding 8 birdie, bogey free 63 to lead this French Open by 2 shots over a group of 7 players including Matt Fitzpatrick at -6 65.

In the build up to his defence he admitted that some of the shots over water on the back nine were "Intimidating" but he did not look to be overawed in surging to the top of the early leaderboard.

"Just a dream start," he said. "All parts of my game were really good, especially my irons and my putting.

"I couldn't have asked for a better start."

Kim also told the press on Wednesday that the course reminded him of the PGA West Stadium Course but after his opening round he was also seeing similarities with TPC Scottsdale, home of the PGA Tour's WM Phoenix Open.

The 33-year-old finished second at that event in 2025 and whether it was the layout or the hospitality of France, he was feeling at home again on the outskirts of Paris.

"This course reminds me of some of the courses I really enjoy playing back home," he said. "Weirdly enough, it reminds me a lot of TPC Scottsdale. It's totally different surroundings, but, you know, you still have to keep the ball in play, there's lots of water hazards, and I've had plenty of success there.

"So I felt comfortable. Maybe it's the food. Maybe it's the wine. I don't know. I might have to start looking for a place here, maybe. We'll see."

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment