with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, March 4, 2022

Sharma leads, Aaron Cockerill T16 at Magical Kenya Open... full leaderboard

 DP World Tour : Magical Kenya Open ..full Leaderboard

Shubhankar Sharma birdied three of his last four holes to take a one-shot lead into the weekend at the 2022 Magical Kenya Open presented by Absa.

Shubhankar Sharma

The Indian engaged in a nip-and-tuck battle with Japan's Masahiro Kawamura throughout day two at Muthaiga Golf Club but a birdie-birdie finish saw him get his nose in front at 10 under after a 67.

Kawamura carded a bogey-free 66 to sit at nine under alongside Scotland's Ewen Ferguson, with South African Thriston Lawrence then at seven under.

Meanwhile Canadian Aaron Cockerill, promoted this week from the Challenge Tour has his best showing in a while 70 68 -4 T16 heading into the weekend, 6 shots off Sharma's lead.

Sharma started the 2022 DP World Tour season by finishing second for his best Rolex Series result at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

He entered the week fifth in the DP World Tour Rankings in Partnership with Rolex but would move even higher should he claim a third win this week.

The 25-year-old claimed two wins in as many months as 2017 turned to 2018 and believes his experience playing at altitude in his first victory at the Joburg Open is helping him this week.

I’m really happy, whenever you finish with two birdies you’re always happy," he said. "It was a good round for me today, it was quite a slow start for me starting on the back nine, not much was happening for me, but that eagle on the 18th really propelled me.

“The front nine was great, missed birdie opportunities on both the par fives but came back strong on eight and nine with birdies and I’m really pleased with the score.

“It does fly a long way, personally I’ve done well whenever I play at altitude, I’m good at controlling my irons, so I did not do too much trackman work this week - I might have hit about 50 balls on the trackman this week - and I just got my numbers.

“I’m very comfortable out there. It’s not easy to get your numbers dialled in but I’ve done a good job.

Local 18-year-old amateur Njoroge Kibugu carded a bogey-free 66 to sit at six under alongside South African Dean Burmester, Spaniard Angel Hidalgo, German Hurly Long and Swede Jesper Svensson.

Gavins was five shots off the lead alongside South African trio Hennie du PlessisJayden Schaper and Daniel van Tonder, Frenchman Matthieu Pavon and China's Wu Ashun.

Bryan Angus 

(europeantour.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment