with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, January 21, 2021

McIlroy takes the clubhouse lead at HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship... live leaderboard

 HSBC Abu Dhabi Championship  Tee Times

Rory McIlroy continued his tradition of starting the new year strongly as he produced his

lowest ever round at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship on the weather affected first day of the 2021 Race to Dubai season.

After morning fog had caused a delay of almost three hours, early starter McIlroy fired a flawless 64 to set the early clubhouse target at eight under par and open up a one shot lead over nearest challenger Tyrrell Hatton.

McIlroy

World Number Six McIlroy gave himself a birdie chance at nearly every hole and putted beautifully throughout the round to continue his love affair with Abu Dhabi Golf Club, where he has secured eight top five finishes in ten previous appearances.

Starting at the tenth tee, the Northern Irishman made four birdies and no bogeys on both nines, taking advantage of every single one of the course's four par fives on the opening day of the season's first Rolex Series event.

Hatton, meanwhile, bookended his front nine with eagles at the tenth and 18th before making three birdies down the stretch to sign for a bogey free 65.

Fabrizio Zanotti was a single stroke further back after starting with a sparkling 66, one shot ahead of Romain Langasque and Rafa Cabrera Bello in a tie for fourth.

The afternoon starters will resume their rounds from 07.40 on Friday morning after running out of daylight following the earlier delay.

McIlroy, who is still searching for his maiden win here, was delighted with his first round performance, particularly on the greens. 

He said: "A lot of it was very good. I felt like I drove the ball well for the most part. Distance control was really good. 

"I think I started off really well and hit a lot of nice iron shots.

"But honestly it was probably the best I've putted these greens in Abu Dhabi probably in my whole career.

"I've shot some really good scores here but I held some really good ones today. 

"And I've always struggled to read them here, but I sort of got my eye in early and kept it going"

Bryan Angus (europeantour.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment