with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rory's got a new bird !!

Oh to be young, rich and famous, and possibly the best golfer on this planet.
If Rory McIlroy is dumping Holly Sweeney, the next one better be good, just google Holly and images if you are not already familiar...!!!

Well apparently the next one is world  #1 tennis player Caroline Wozniacki, and here is the latest on a report just released by AP from Switzerland where Rory is playing this week, while CW is of course in New York playing the US Open.

Associated Press

CRANS-MONTANA, Switzerland - U.S. Open champion Rory McIlroy believes his relationship with top-ranked tennis player Caroline Wozniacki can help him become the No. 1 player in golf.

After spending two "great" weeks together in the U.S., McIlroy thinks he and the 21-year-old from Denmark can be good for each other's careers. "I think we definitely spur each other on," said McIlroy. "She's No. 1 in the world and I've got a major and we sort of both want what each other have. "It's a big goal of mine. I want to become the best player in the world."

The sixth-ranked McIlroy made the comments ahead of the European Masters, his first tournament since injuring his right arm at the PGA Championship three weeks ago.

While recuperating, the 22-year Northern Irishman was by Wozniacki's side at tournaments in Cincinnati and New Haven ahead of bidding for a first Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open.

McIlroy said he was impressed with Wozniacki's dedication, and picked up pointers to improving his own game. "She's got a great work ethic and it's something I can probably learn a lot from," he said. "It's pretty impressive."

McIlroy said the couple were "taking a day at a time," knowing tournament schedules leave few chances to meet much more this year. He watched television on Tuesday night when his top-seeded girlfriend opened at Flushing Meadows with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Spain's Nuria Llagostera-Vives.

Wozniacki's next match is scheduled for Thursday after he completes his opening round at the European Masters. McIlroy's goal is chasing world No. 1 Luke Donald of England, who is playing the PGA Tour event this weekend.

"I don't think it's achievable in the short term, Luke is quite a long way ahead," McIlroy said.

He calculates he can rise to a career-high No. 3 with victory at the Crans-sur-Sierre club, and other results fall his way. Fifth-ranked Martin Kaymer of Germany is in the European field while the Americans occupying third and fourth spots, Steve Stricker and Dustin Johnson, play at the Deutsche Bank Championship in Boston.

McIlroy will look for inspiration from "one of the most beautiful places in the world," where he almost got his first professional win as a 19-year-old. He took a four-stroke lead into the final round in the Swiss Alps but lost in extra holes to Frenchman Jean-Francois Lucquin. "I still think about that playoff in 2008," said McIlroy, who has yet to win in Europe as a pro. His sole European Tour victory came at Dubai in February 2009.

McIlroy played an 18-hole practice round Tuesday ahead of the European Masters in Switzerland, his first tournament since injuring his right arm at the PGA Championship.
"The wrist is fine and I'm good to play," he said. "I'm rid of the bandages on my wrist, and I'm off the pain-killers and anti-inflamatory's. "The only slight concern, and it's only slight and it's only when I am not swinging a golf club but the area around my shoulder feels like it's dead or numb. "I've been told there's a little bit of an impingement in the front part of my shoulder but with some continued treatment and massaging I will be fine. "But it's not worrying me and there's problem in playing any shots, and it's not holding me back in any way, and I'm not protecting or favouring it in any way."

I will be covering it here all weekend as usual along with the Deutchbank in Boston for the PGA tour

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles



No comments:

Post a Comment