with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Weir returns at the Shark Shoot-out this week


Tiburon Golf Club · Naples, Fla.,is the site of this week's Shark Shootout..24 players  12 teams and Mike Weir is amongst them.. this from pgatour.com

Has it really been almost four months? Mike Weir is using the Shootout as his comeback event from a torn ligament in his right elbow. The former Masters champ, whose last event was the Wyndham Championship, is also making his comeback without a coach. A former Stack-and-Tilt guy, he had turned to Mike Wilson. Now, he's taking ownership of his own swing, but will likely have Wilson around as a second set of eyes

Here is an excerpt from Weirsy's website I thought you would enjoy..

Overall, everything is going well and I’m very pleased. I’ve been busy rehabbing the injured elbow and doing lots of exercise to try and get it better. In the last week or so I’ve been actually taking a few shots – nothing too serious just doing a little pitching and chipping and hitting a couple of five-irons off a tee. I’m slowly trying to see where it is and how it feels and so far, so good. My doctors are pleased with how the recovery is going.


I’m not yet ready to try hitting into the ground – I’m still a little worried about impact – but these small steps have been encouraging. Still, there’s no guarantee about anything yet in the recovery. It’s a day-to-day thing.

I am confident enough with how things are going to attempt a little tournament play. I’ve signed up for the Shark Shootout, starting Dec. 8, in Naples, Fla. I know I won’t be able to go full bore there such as hit buckets and buckets of practice balls, but I’m itching to get going again and I hope that will be the start. That will be 12 weeks since the injury was diagnosed and that’s the time line the doctors originally gave me for recovery.

While I’ve been off, I’ve also had a chance to re-assess my career and where I am now and where I want to go. One of the things I’ve decided is that I really feel I’m experienced enough that I’m going to basically work on my own as far as my swing goes. I’m confident enough that I know what makes my swing work. I know that if I get into trouble, I can go and see Mike Wilson, and of course Brennan will always be there as a second set of eyes too. But most of the time, I’ll try to work out my own problems. It’s all about taking ownership of my game.

It’s similar to how I’m handling my fitness and my mental game. I have people I can go to in each case but they won’t be out on Tour with me week-in and week-out.

Speaking of out on Tour, next year I’ll be starting the season using a major medical exemption to play. That will give me five starts and I’ll need to win enough money to equal what the player who finishes 125 will have. I’m going to come out prepared and ready, and I fully believe I won’t have any trouble reaching that goal.

Since I’ve been off, I’ve had some really good times. I’ve been fishing a few times, including taking my brother Jim on a trip for his 50th birthday. I went up to Sarnia to see some family and ran a 10K race in Toronto for charity, the Audi Best Buddies Challenge, which was a really fun experience.

And I’ve been spending a lot of time at home, doing chores (my garage is really, really clean!), and going to my daughters’ activities.

I also made my own wine, picking the grapes off our property, squeezing the grapes – we rented a press, no foot stomping for us – and putting it into a carboy. We’ll see how it comes out but sorry, it won’t be available under the Mike Weir Wine label.

While this layoff has been good in that it allowed me to recharge the batteries and assess my situation, I’m also anxious to get back out there. I miss playing and I want to do something competitively. I’m really thankful for the continued support of all the fans who are behind me and I hope to give you something to cheer about very soon.

He will be paired with South Korea's K.J. Choi


It will be Weir's first event since the Wyndham Championship in August

He decided not to have surgery. Instead he has been rehabbing as he mentioned with strengthening exercises..
Welcome back Weirsy along with Stephen Ames, Graham DeLaet, David Hearn, Matt McQuillan, Chris Baryla... all will make next year more fun to follow for all Canucks..

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment