with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mike Weir loses long time caddie

Talk about losing your partner to a younger man !!



My Fairways broadcast partner Bob Weeks has learned that the 2003 Masters champion has parted ways with caddie Brennan Little. According to Scoregolf.com, Little informed Weir following the conclusion of last weekend's Shark Shootout that he had accepted an offer to carry the bag of Sean O'Hair full time for the 2011 season.

"Mike and I are great friends, and always will be," Little told Scoregolf.com. "He understood that while it was a very difficult decision for me, I do have to consider what is best for my family. He knows that I will always be there for him, helping in whatever way I can."

Weir said that he felt no ill will towards the St. Thomas, Ont. native who caddied for O'Hair twice when Weir missed time with an elbow injury earlier this year.

"I wish him nothing but the best," Weir told Scoregolf.com. "I told him that if he wanted to get another job he should. I know he has to look after his family."

Weir and Little met playing junior golf in Ontario. Little agreed to become Weir's caddie in 1999 with Weir picking up all eight of his victories on the PGA Tour with Little on his bag.

The change could be advantageous to Little from a financial aspect as O'Hair finished 41st on the PGA Tour's money list last season, earning $1.85 million. Weir meanwhile finished 151st with $559,092 last season.

Weir's 2010 campaign was cut short last summer due to a partially torn elbow ligament.

Never thought I'd see this happen but it shows how far Weirsy has fallen and don't forget Sean Foley coaches O'Hair and knows Brennan well

This leaves Mike without a coach or a caddie as he starts 2011 on a medical exemption in January..


The two have been together for 12 years but Little is leaving Weir to caddie for Sean O'Hair in 2011.

"After a long time together, Brennan and I are going to part ways," Weir said in a blog entry on his website Tuesday. "He told me that he's going work for Sean O'Hair next year and I couldn't be happier for him."

Weir has been battling an elbow injury and was forced to take three months off this season. He returned to action on the weekend at the Shark Shootout and is confident about his recovery, though he's not sure how many events he'll play in 2011.

"I know that he has to look after his family and my situation, while I remain confident, is certainly not all that stable at the moment," Weir wrote. "He'll be great with Sean and I predict big things for them next year."

Weir called Little a "tireless worker," and said he wouldn't have gone as far in his career without the caddie's support.

"Mike and I are great friends, always will be, and he understood that while it was a very difficult decision for me, I do have to consider what is best for my family," Little said in his own blog. "He knows that I will always be there for him, helping in whatever way I can."

O'Hair had three top 10 finishes in 2010 for over US$1.8 million in earnings. The 28-year-old American has two tournament wins in his career.

Weir didn't say who would carry his bag in 2011 but he has had an injury all year

I know that he has to look after his family and my situation, while I remain confident, is certainly not all that stable at the moment," Weir wrote. "He'll be great with Sean and I predict big things for them next year."


Weir called Little a "tireless worker," and said he wouldn't have gone as far in his career without the caddie's support.

Little said he will continue that support.

"Mike and I are great friends, always will be, and he understood that while it was a very difficult decision for me, I do have to consider what is best for my family," Little said in his own blog. "He knows that I will always be there for him, helping in whatever way I can."

O'Hair had three top 10 finishes in 2010 for over US$1.8 million in earnings. The 28-year-old American has two tournament wins in his career.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment