with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, December 11, 2010

Iben Tinning ends her career with a win in Dubai.. Kane finishes T39

Here is the AP story on this final event of the Ladies European Tour
DUBAI - Lorie Kane finished with a final round 2-over 74 at the Omega Dubai Ladies Masters on Saturday, 18-shots behind Iben Tinning of Denmark who scripted a fairytale ending with a victory in her final professional game.


Kane had a birdie, bogey and a double bogey to leave her in a tie for 39th, which was good for $4,912 (CDN). For the week, she had 10 birdies and 13 bogeys.

Tinning, who is retiring after 15 years on the tour, ended at 11-under 277. She beat Sweden's Anna Nordqvist by two shots, thanks to a birdie on the final hole, and England's Melissa Reid by three in the season-ending tournament at the Emirates Golf Club.

It was Tinning's sixth tour victory, her first since 2005.

Holding a one shot lead over Reid and Nordqvist going down the 18th, Tinning managed to get safely on the green in three and then holed a 15-foot birdie putt for the win.

Reid, whose drive went into the woods, ended up bogeying the hole to fall into third place.

First-round leader Florentyna Parker of England and LPGA Tour regular Christina Kim were tied fourth at six-under par 282.

Michelle Wie, who had been battling a nagging back injury all week, saved her best last, moving to tie for sixth at five-under 283 following the day's best round of 67.

I still can't believe I won and it's just amazing,” said Tinning, who collected the biggest paycheck of her career.

”It's just crazy to end my career like this. I know all of the people that helped me out and my parents and my husband (who caddied for her), I mean, it's such a great gift for everybody and we are just so happy.

Tinning added the victory will not change her plans about retirement.

“No, no. It's not an option. I am on so many painkillers, it's just not fun anymore,” she said, referring to a hip injury which has plagued her..

"On 16, I had such a bad pain and I'm just happy it kept me through and that I can pick up the trophy.”

Lee-Anne Pace won the Ladies European Tour Order of Merit despite struggling to a tie for 52nd at 299. She became the first South African to top the women's money list when Laura Davies of England failed to finish first or second

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment