with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Another award for McDowell and his amazing season

In 2008 when the Ryder Cup was being contested and won by Paul Azinger's US team at Valhalla in Kentucky, we were talking on Fairways about the gutsy Anthony Kim and his partnership with Phil Mickelson, the fairytale story of Kenny Perry in front of his family and fellow Kentuckians and of course the coarse, often crass but very talented Boo Weekley.

However on the losing side, I watched Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter and Graeme McDowell take their games to another level under the intense pressure that is the Ryder Cup.

Still I must admit that I am surprised at the phenomenal years they have all had, and today's announcement that McDowell has been awarded the Golf Writers' Trophy is just more icing on his cake..

Here is the story from europeantour.com and it really does outline what thorough domination the European Tour has attained in 2010..

 Graeme McDowell has added another victory to his dream season by winning the Golf Writers’ Trophy for 2010.
McDowell is the first player from Northern Ireland and the fifth Irish golfer to win the award that dates back to 1951.

The 31 year old made history at Pebble Beach by becoming the first European winner of the US Open since Tony Jacklin 40 years ago and then, amid unbearable tension at The Celtic Manor Resort, clinched the winning point at The Ryder Cup. He also won The Celtic Manor Wales Open at The Celtic Manor Resort, the Andalucia Masters at Valderrama and the Chevron World Challenge by beating host Tiger Woods in a play-off.

McDowell was a clear winner in the annual poll of the members of the Association of Golf Writers but only after another highly competitive contest given the outstanding achievements from European golfers in 2010. The Ryder Cup Team, captained by Colin Montgomerie, finished second, just ahead of Martin Kaymer, the US PGA Champion and The Race to Dubai winner, with Lee Westwood, the newly crowned World Number One, in fourth place.

I am hugely honoured to win such a prestigious award and especially in a year when European golf as a whole has achieved such amazing things,” McDowell said.

Montgomerie added: “In my 24 years as a member of The European Tour, never, ever have we had the success we have had this year. We have completely dominated the world of golf in 2010. It is amazing the quality we have now and it is not going to stop here. We can look forward to even more success in 2011.”

A record number of votes were cast in this year’s poll, which reflected the breadth of achievement in European golf in 2010. Laura Davies, who won five times on the Ladies European Tour, and Matteo Manassero, the 17 year old Italian who became the youngest winner on The European Tour, both featured highly, while there was also support for Rory McIlroy, brothers Edoardo and Francesco Molinari, Ian Poulter, Justin Rose, Miguel Angel Jimenez and British and US Senior Open champion Bernhard Langer.

Bill Elliott, chairman of the Association, said: “What a treasure chest our members had to choose from this year but, in the end, I suspect that the abiding image of an exhausted Graeme McDowell clinching The Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor just tipped it in his favour. Beating Tiger in California a week ago didn’t do the Ulsterman any harm either. Terrific stuff.”

McDowell, who like Westwood is a contender for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, is now looking forward to some time off to reflect on his remarkable performances in 2010. “To win a Major Championship and to hole the winning putt in The Ryder Cup, these are absolute, ultimate golfing dreams for me,” he said. “It has definitely been a life-changing experience the last few months and I feel incredibly lucky. I can’t get my head around it for sure now but I feel very fortunate and privileged that I’ve had the opportunity.

Every golfer wants to win Majors but The Ryder Cup was another stratosphere, trying to win it not just for me but for 11 team-mates, for Colin, for all those fans, for Europe. I have never been so nervous. That 16th hole, they were the three greatest shots of my career. Under that pressure, it was an amazing feeling. Particularly, as I was told on the fairway, before I hit my second shot, that a half-point would not be enough and that I needed to win the match.

“It’s been a phenomenal few years for European golf in general, and in particular British and Irish golf. Look at the number of players at the top of the world rankings and, of course, right at the top is Lee, the Number One. He has been our most consistent player the last few years. He has worked extremely hard and thoroughly deserves to be up there. It has given all of us the belief that one day we may also reach that top spot.

I cannot thank the team around me, my family and management, enough for their support this year and in the years ahead. I will have the same attitude in 2011 as I did in 2010, to work hard and to try and win some tournaments. How I perform will all be heavily scrutinised and that is understandable but I’ll never try and compare it to 2010. I’m very aware of the pitfalls, complacency, expectation levels, really trying to change my game now that I’m a Major Champion and in the top-10 in the world. I’m looking forward to it and I know I have a huge amount of room for improvement, particularly in and around the greens and just sharpening up my whole game generally.”

As I prepare my look back on 2010, I am not sure that there is a bigger one than this complete shift of dominance from the old Tiger/ Phil one two punch and it is arguable whether it is good or bad for the game on this side of the Atlantic where it's all Tiger all the time..

Much more to follow..

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment