with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, February 17, 2020

Watch out for Weirsy ! Veteran shoots 65 at LeCom Suncoast Classic.. final leaderboard

Korn Ferry Tour LeCom Suncoast Classic final leaderboard https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-tour/leaderboard.html

Many golf fans I speak with about Mike Weir, remember him fondly for his 2003 Masters win, he was the toast of the country, Athlete of the Year, Lou Marsh winner, in demand wherever he went.

17 years later I'm asked all the time, "what ever happened to Weirsy?". Most remember he tore up his elbow, tried to come back too soon and eventually lost his game altogether.

Well I'm here to tell you "watch out for Weirsy!" A lot of water has passed under his bridge, a divorce from Bricia, time off to be with daughters Lili and Elle, and with their blessing, back to the grind of pro golf, with an eye on May 12th, 2020, the day he turns 50 and joins the PGA Tour Champions.

He's traveled the world, playing wherever he is invited or is eligible, sometimes on the European Tour and mostly these days on the Korn Ferry Tour.

This weekend was a good one for Weirsy with rounds of 70, 68 68 65 -17 six shots off the lead, T17 down in Lakewood, Florida at the LeCom Suncoast Classic.

T17 doesn't make headlines, but for those who know him and have followed his long road back, this was a "super" week, in his words.

After an opening bogey, he produced five birdies and a rare albatross on the par 5 6th, a hybrid 4 iron from 230 yards for a 2.

" I'm trying to stay sharp, this is a positive sign as I move closer to that magic number 50. I just want to stay competitive here to get me ready for it.

The only thing missing all week was my short game. For the most part my putting was a bit below average. If I had sharpened that up I really would have been right at the top. I only made one putt from 8 feet all day today, had eagle looks on 4 and 16.

It's still a great score don't get me wrong, I'm super happy but that round could have one of those super special ones !"

Other Canadians: Ben Silverman showed a nice return to form, 67 67 70 66 -18 T11, Adam Svensson and Taylor Pendrith, 68 66 70 69 -15 T26

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment