with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, November 17, 2011

My predictions for Day 2 at the Presidents Cup

On day 1, I had Internationals 3.5, US 2.5 and if not for the Baddeley breakdown on 17 and 18 which gifted Johnson and Watney a halve, dat's what we would have had..

Here are my thoughts on today, keep in mind tee times have been moved up, a NW wind is forecast to start, which I am told is a tough wind for the Melbourne layout, and remember the US team has not had any practice in this wind this week.

Also along that line, Norman has split his pairings to have someone familiar with that wind with someone who isn't.

Day 2 fourball session (all times Eastern; local time 16 hours ahead)


5:35 p.m.: Bubba Watson-Webb Simpson (U.S.) vs. Ernie Els-Ryo Ishikawa (International)
my thoughts... Although Ernie and Ryo will want to avenge their loss to these guys yesterday, Watson and Simpson are simply better at this time in their careers, they will have to beat themselves for the International pair to win.. USA

5:49 p.m.: Tiger Woods-Dustin Johnson (U.S.) vs. Jason Day-Aaron Baddeley (International)
my thoughts... This is fourball today, so Tiger will be hitting in first of the US pairing behind the prodigious length of DJ, so when he is wild, Johnson will know and can pick him up without having to lay up. Baddeley, a devout Christian will need all his inner peace and faith to overcome the crushing his confidence took blowing that dormie 2 lead just 24 hours ago. Tight match to the USA

6:03 p.m.: Phil Mickelson-Jim Furyk (U.S.) vs. Adam Scott-K.T. Kim (International)
my thoughts.. the old guard vs the young guns. KT Kim is a fine player, but I'm not sure Scott in his present form, familiar with this course in this wind will need him, and remember Furyk and Mickelson had been struggling with their games coming into this week. Internationals

6:17 p.m.: Bill Haas-Nick Watney (U.S.) vs. Geoff Ogilvy- K.J. Choi (International)
my thoughts... Ogilvy on his home course, in a tricky wind, with the rock solid Choi should beat the American rookies who just got a half yesterday, but were let off the hook. Internationals

6:31 p.m.: Steve Stricker-Matt Kuchar (U.S.) vs. Y.E. Yang-Robert Allenby (International)
my thoughts..if I have a halve in mind this is the one. Stricker was hammered yesterday and his game was rusty, while Kuchar missed some clutch shots under the gun. However Allenby has been off form during the Aussie Open, and Yang was beaten soundly yesterday... Someone here will surprise me, but again Allenby was a captain's pick for days like today in this wind, and being a glass half full guy, my nod goes to Internationals

6:45 p.m.: David Toms-Hunter Mahan (U.S.) vs. Charl Schwartzel-Reteif Goosen (International)
my thoughts.. if the Goose was in any kind of form I would award this outright to the South Africans, however as of yet he is not. Charl can play with Mahan, but Toms will beat Goosen. Edge to the USA

Final Score USA 3 Internationals 3


Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles



.

No comments:

Post a Comment