with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, November 13, 2011

Chalmers beats Senden, Tiger to Australian Open title

There was a moment as Tiger stood over a 20' putt for eagle on the 17th hole tonight, my mind went back to 2000 in the Canadian Open at Glen Abbey when Tiger hit what is known in Canada as "the shot", 185 yards from the fairway bunker, over the pond to the narrowest sliver of green holding the 18th flagstick...

Last night was the moment Tiger always did something special. This time he didn't, after stalking the putt forever, there was no running after it, pointing, fist pumping... it slid by, he settled for birdie and a terrific 5 birdie, eagle 67, -11 score, not quite enough...

Veteran Aussie Greg Chalmers started the day with 2 birdies, ended up with a -3 69, -13 total to hold off John Senden who after making 4 bogey's in his first 7 holes had a curling 35 footer to tie on the last hole which narrowly missed.

Chalmers little boy asked him seconds after Senden missed that putt, "Daddy did you win that for me ?!!", fought back tears after beating the strongest Aussie Open field
in my memory. It was the second time he has won his national championship, the last in 1998.

"I'm just extremely excited and extremely pleased to win this tournament twice," the 38-year-old said."You can stumble into it once but to win it again, in this field, one of the strongest we've had fields we've had in Australian golf for a long time, that does something for me, that really floats my boat.

"I think I stumbled into it when I was 26 ... I know what it takes now, it's hard to win."

Now ranked 215 in the world, he made 2 bogey's before the turn but he was solid with 2 birdies on the back, making 3 crucial 6-8 footers for par
while those around him apart from Tiger and Geoff Ogilvy -7 65, were losing ground. Jason Day 74, T4, Nick O'Hern 72, T4, Nick Watney 72, T4 etc.,

For final scores click http://www.pga.org.au/scores/683

Remember early last week when all the talk was about Steve Williams and the firestorm that was awaiting he and Adam Scott. Tiger could have buried Steve with his presser on Tuesday, but he didn't, in fact he diffused the incident so completely not only with his words that day, but with his play for 3 rounds this week, that it stopped being a story.

For the record, Adam and Steve had their chances as well, finishing with -4, 68 T4.

Now it's off to Melbourne for the President's Cup this week, later today I will tell you how All the Presidents Men did this week as my coverage begins..

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles

No comments:

Post a Comment