with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, November 11, 2011

Tiger thrives in calm conditions, and on Foley's instruction.

Usually things weatherwise even out over 4 days, that's one of the reasons pros play early/late on the first two days.

I watched most of round two at both the Aussie Open and the Singapore Open which follows, between naps, and Tiger who was out at 7.25am (local) off #10 caught the Lakes GC in calm conditions, rolled in a 15 footer on his first hole and kept it rolling on the way to a -5 67, -9 total, and he looked as calm as the weather. He fired 5 birdies on his front 9, and had 2 bogey's, 2 birdies coming in.

As the day wore on the wind picked up significantly, I haven't seen so many knock down shots since Darren Clarke at the Open Championship earlier this year.

The stroke average in the morning flight was 71.1 and by the end of the late flight it had soared to 75.1, a 4 shot swing and as a result none of the pursuers could catch Tiger who will take a one shot lead into the weekend, and I haven't said that since his Chevron tourney last year. The wind is expected to continue and with Tiger due off last for round 3 he will  get a better test later tonight.

Veteran straight hitting and Lakes GC memeber Aussie Peter O'Malley -6 66, -8 then Jason Day -4 68, -7 are 2nd and 3rd.

Folks, Tiger could be lower than he is, he has lipped out a least 4 times, something he mentioned in his post round interview

"Basically I felt that I never really missed a shot. Even though I shot five under today it felt like it could easily been eight or nine deep, I could have been a little lower on my first nine holes. I parred a couple of the par fives."

"It feels good that I am there playing properly. It’s not like I am slashing it all over the place. I am hitting the ball well. I have just hit so many lips these first two days. It could have been pretty low."

While stopping short of declaring he was fully back to his best, Woods said he is finally starting to feel comfortable with his swing he has been working on with coach Sean Foley over the last 15 months.

click here for live scoring  http://www.pga.org.au/scores/683

Quite a lot of the late coverage was the pairing of Greg Norman, Dustin Johnson and Aaron Baddeley, who were right behind Bubba Watson, Bill Haas and Geoff Ogilvey.

Norman who was always the longest off the tee was consistantly straight, but amazingly 35-55 yards behind Johnson in particular, and Bubba, my goodness, is the guy I'd follow. He does call it Bubba long but the advantage he gives himself, especially in the wind over all the water on this course was not reflected in the -2 70 he posted. However he is well placed -6, 4th.

round 3 tee times click here     http://www.pga.org.au/site/_content/document/00041808-source.pdf

More to follow on the Singapore Open..

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles

No comments:

Post a Comment