with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, March 9, 2023

Paddy Harrington to be inducted World Golf Hall of Fame

  

Former European Number One Pádraig Harrington will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame as part of its Class of 2024.

Padraig Harrington-1457845364

The 51-year-old Irishman is a three-time Major champion, having won back-to-back Open Championships as well as adding the US PGA Championship during a 13-month spell in 2007 and 2008.  

Harrington boasts 15 DP World Tour wins among his 36 worldwide titles and landed his first senior Major success at the U.S. Senior Open last year.  

In 2006, he was crowned European Tour Number One after a season in which he won the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship.

This is very exciting, obviously huge honour,” said Harrington. “It’s somewhat humbling. At this stage of my life, it gives me some validation to what I’ve done in golf.

“Brings back a flood of memories. This is a deep-down satisfaction, and I’m very proud to be included with the players before me.”

He has featured on four winning Ryder Cup teams in six playing appearances and captained the European team at Whistling Straits in 2021.

Harrington combines playing on the DP World Tour and the PGA TOUR with the over-50s Legends Tour and PGA TOUR Champions, where he won four times last year.

He will become the third Irishman to join the World Golf Hall of Fame, after amateur Joe Carr and Christy O'Connor Snr, at a ceremony during the 124th U.S. Open Championship at Pinehurst on June 10, 2024.

"Seeing your name beside the names that I've looked up to as a boy and young golfer, it's very nice,” added Harrington.

"Everybody on the ballot deserves to be there. It's unfortunate that everyone can't be in, but it's great to be included in the Class of 2024."

edit:

I'll never forget contacting Padraig on his cell phone,(don't ask how I got it !) with the help of my friend and former European Tour CEO Ken Schofield. Paddy had never met me but the mention of Ken's name set his mind at ease and he warmly agreed to join us on our FAN590 Fairways on a Saturday morning  at 730am est or 1230 hrs in Dublin.

He was having a pint of Guinness with lunch at a patio restaurant, and proceeded in that high voice of his to entertain us for the next 15 minutes, I was so annoyed that such a fine gentleman was only on for such a brief chat but time was against me, we could have chatted for hours. So I asked him off air if I could call back after the show to tape, and he obliged.

I still have that 45 mins, covering everything from his mental struggles at times with the game, his love of links golf, his majors, and stories about greats and not so greats he has played with and learned from.

No airs or graces, down to earth, with a master class knowledge of the swing, I am along with everyone else in the game delighted to see him so honoured.

europeantour..com

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment