with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, March 21, 2021

Wind and water play havoc with round 3 at the Honda Classic... Sunday leaderboard

 Honda Classic Sunday leaderboard here.

I was out and about on our first glorious day of spring yesterday and came back in to see that the Champion course at PGA National was not playing at all like it was on Thursday and Friday.

Scores were soaring. I tweeted to some of my pals about why !? and Richard Zokol sent me, "The course is as tricky as ever, the question is why wasn't it on Thursday and Friday "

The wind on Saturday as I posted in my morning weather forecast was supposed to be 10mph (16kph) at best, as the leader Matt Jones said after wards, it was no where near that !

1307785589

Jones who opened with that improbable 61, handled the wind better than all the leaders around him with a -1 69 and after being 6 shots behind, he is now 3 shots clear heading into today's final round. He has won 2 major Australian events since his lone PGA Tour win in 2014.

" I've had 36 years of experience playing in the wind, I've got a lot more grey hairs, a lot more experience, hopefully I can draw on that"

An example of the carnage around him, the leader with 64 64 Aaron Wise had to fight for a 75, Brandon Hagy shot 62 on Friday, 76 on Saturday.. The final six pairings were +39 over par.

This course has the Bear Trap holes 15-17 that are so tough they usually decide the out come. Nobody made a birdie on 16 yesterday, into the wind, and there was only one at the par 3 17th

So today Jones is -10 200, Wise and JB Holmes (67) are -7 203, three at at -6 204 and defending champion Sungjae Im (69) is -5 205.. 

Canadians: Roger Sloan had a great day, just 1 bogey, -4 66 he is T13 -4, Adam Hadwin 70 T18 -3, and Mac Hughes, last year's runner up, is T53, 68 72 71 +1.

Weather: Mostly cloudy with wind WNW swing around to WSW as the day goes on with less of it forecast than any of the prior 3 days, 9mph (14kph)...That's what was forecast yesterday, so we'll see.

For some reason or another, I like JB Holmes today... #justsayin 

Bryan Angus 



1 comment:

  1. So far, so good during the 4th round... another week, another Canadian top-10 with Adam Hadwin, and a top-25 with Roger Sloan!

    ReplyDelete