with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, March 25, 2021

Hughes wins, remarkable Rozner, 1st round Dell Technologies World Match Play.. Thursday 2nd round matches

 Dell Technologies World Match PlaLeaderboard

Some big names took a beating in the opening round of matches in Austin, non more surprising to Americans than red hot Frenchman Antoine Rozner, fresh off his recent win in Qatar, and virtually unknown on this side of the pond, who beat Bryson DeChambeau 2 up.  

Ian Poulter was at his match play best while Rory wasn't making birdies, the result a 6&5 thumping by Poults over his slumping Ryder Cup pal.

Mac Hughes had 3 birdies on his front nine and made the turn 2up, 2 more birdies and a bogey on the back nine, along with an ordinary scoring round by Paul Casey had Mac run out the winner 3up on the 16th. Today Mac plays Webb Simpson in round 2

Corey Connors made an eagle 3 on his openeing hole, added a birdie and made the turn with Matthew Wolfe 2up, however the young American star with the funky swing took advantage of bogey's at 12 and 14 by Corey then added 2 birdies of his own to win 3&1. 

Today Corey plays Matthew Fitzpatrick in round 2

Rozner had won twice in his last 6 outings, DeChambeau ranked world #5 was a shoe in in the minds of most in Austin after winning the AArnold Palmer, and 3rd at the Players.

However in match play anyone can be beaten and Rozner went ahead for good on the 4th and never looked back, winning 2up in Group 5.

Antoine Rozner

."I think in match play everyone is on the same level, so no, I don't think it's an upset," he said. "Obviously he's a heck of a player. He hit the ball so far. I think it's just a round of golf. It doesn't matter who you are. In one round you can beat anyone.

"Being able to beat the World Number Five, it's not every day that I can play match play against the World Number Five in a tournament. I just enjoyed it.

"I was just trying to put a solid round of golf (together) and I think I did that pretty well, especially on the front. I didn't make any mistakes really on the front and being three up after 12 holes I think was a good enough lead. 

"I was actually feeling a little bit nervous at some point on the back nine but I think being three up was good enough and I'm just very happy I won that match."

You can follow all the scores by clicking on my link above.

A special tip of the cap to young Scotsman Robert McIntyre who chipped in and holed out from a bunker, both for eagles in his debut, beating veteran Kevin Na 2&1.

Bryan Angus



No comments:

Post a Comment