with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chris Baryla previews the Masters, analyzes his season so far.

"Tiger Woods would be on my list if he said he was going to play left handed and putt with his driver !!" more from Chris Baryla to follow..


I remember Rick Todd telling me last year that the next Canadian to win on the PGA tour not called Ames or Weir would be Chris Baryla
"He is by far the most talented player I have ever coached" said Todd, who was Chris's coach at UTEP during his college career.

Well Chris has not made a cut nor therefore any money in 6 outings on tour this year, and in a recent interview for FairwaysPlus he talks about his slow start, gives you some picks for Augusta icluding his thoughts on Tiger and looks  forward to his next event..

BA.. Chris you haven't made a cut on tour yet this year. You must be frustrated..
CB.. It has been a sluggish start to 2011, not sure if my game likes to hibernate or what, but I seem to struggle the first couple months every year. Would like to blame it on winter rust, however I really don't take much time off so that excuse is a little thin. Either way, my physical game feels very good so hopefully the pieces will fall into place soon!


BA.. Have you played Augusta National ?
CB. I have about as much experience with Augusta National as your average golf fan! I have had a couple of opportunities to play but haven't taken advantage. For me golf has always been about the competition, not that I wouldn't be excited to tee it up at such a special place but what I look forward to most is the competitive challenge.

BA  If you were filling out a Masters pool sheet, give me 5 names you would include
CB  My picks for this year's Masters would definitely include a few guys looking for their first major..
.
1. Dustin Johnson hasn't been his best for the last month or so, but he is one of few who can run away with a big margin of victory.
2. Justin Rose has been playing great and has a history of good play at Augusta, if he makes ANY putts he will be in the mix on Sunday.
3. Luke Donald is playing well and is very tidy around the greens, he does have some longer clubs into greens so he'll have less room for error.
4. Hunter Mahan is the most consistent ball striker I have ever seen and he is putting well.
5. Tiger Woods would be on my list if he said he was going to play left-handed and putt with his driver. Downside is I think he has been playing left-handed and putting with his driver.

BA.. Considering his current mediocre play are you surprised the bookies have TTiger as their favourite to win the Masters?
CB.. It doesn't surprise me at all that Tiger is the bookmakers favorite to win, he is obviously not a favorite against the field as he has been in years past, but he is more likely to win than any other player individually.


BA.. You are off for the next 2 weeks, what will you do and when will we see you next ??
CB.. I will be enjoying these couple of weeks at home with my wife Amelie, will spend some time practicing and catching up with friends. This will probably be my last two week break for quite a while so I will definitely be savoring the time at home. We will be back at it the week after the Masters in San Antonio.

BA. Finally I have to ask you about your Canucks with the Stanley Cup playoffs just 2 weeks away..
CB  Canucks just wrapped up the President's Trophy which is a nice honor and should give them a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. If the defensive core can get healthy and support Lou they should have a chance to play a lot more hockey this year! I would love to get to a couple of games late in a playoff run!

BA  Thanks Chris..

CB.. Thanks Bryan, anytime..

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment