with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, April 11, 2022

Scheffler's Christian belief fuels his historic win, Conners best Masters...Final results

 2022 Masters: Final Results here.

With a quick birdie, birdie start Cameron Smith cut Scottie Scheffler's lead to a shot, and it looked like the game was on for another "back nine on Sunday" Masters, but a chip in at the 3rd by the leader and a bogey by the Aussie put him back 3 up, and the Scheffler grind was on, the match between the two blew up on the 12th, as it so often does when the Aussie found the water on his way to a six, leaving Rory McIlroy the only one charging, and he never got closer than 3 shots, with an eventual record 64 including a holed bunker shot at the 72nd, and 25 year old Scheffler with his 1st Masters, and 4th win this year in 6 starts.

Corey Conners capped off his best week at Augusta with 3 late birdies for 70 -3 total T6.


"Over all I'm happy with the round, nice way to finish with a couple of birdies at the end. It would have been nice to get off to a better start, but it is what it is, overall a solid day. every part of my game was working this week, I certainly would have liked to make more birdies, but I was able to get out of trouble when needed, par saving putts, or up and downs, to keep momentum going, and not headed backwards"

Mac Hughes had an awful weekend despite his efforts, 77 78 T50th +15. So did Tiger Woods 78 78 +13 T47th.

It's hard to say why Scottie Scheffler has won the Waste Management, the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the WGC Dell Match Play and now the big one, the Masters. He's a good player for sure, but not nearly as good as this.


I believe his strength lies outside the ropes. 

From a devout Christian family he admitted he was crying at home before the final round, while his wife Meredith prayed to God for inner peace. On the way to the 1st tee, his caddy Ted Scott who shares his faith opened his jumpsuit to reveal a tee shirt that said  "God is in control" and that is what Scottie Scheffler believes in.

Scheffler is awarded the green jacket by 2021 Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama.

Earlier on Saturday he said " If I win this that's great, if I don't that's good too, because I've practised hard, prepared as best as I can to hit good shots...and the rest is not in my hands"

My identity isn't in a golf score, Meredith always prays for peace and that's what I want to feel on a golf course, is peace and to have fun and to feel HIS presence"

After the round he told us all this. " I never expected to be sitting here, you don't expect things to come to you in life, just do the best with the hand you are dealt. I never really thought I was that good at golf, so I just kept practising and working hard, and that's what I'm going to continue to do".... 

..and he didn't have to add " and keep believing."

Bryan Angus



No comments:

Post a Comment