with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, April 9, 2021

Prince Phillip has passed at 99, Rest in Peace Sir....My memories

We knew it was coming but still I was saddened to hear the Prince hadn't woke up from his sleep last night and passed peacefully in his bed  at Windsor Castle.

photograph of Prince Philip




In my early years as Assistant Manager at the Commonwealth Games stadium I met him and the Queen on several occasions, at the Silver Jubilee, the Gathering of the Clans and Commonwealth/World track meets amongst others.

He was always a treat to meet with, even in limited walkabouts. He always had a twinkle in his eye, his enjoyment meeting with the public was obvious and he carried that on for all his years as he served the Commonwealth so well.

On one occasion at the Paraplegic Games I introduced him to an Australian weight lifter who had lost both his legs and was doing a demonstration bench press lying flat on his back.

The Prince asked him how he'd lost the legs, and the Aussie said. "They were no bloody use to me, so I had them cut off" The Prince said " that must have been awful, I commend your bravery" The Aussie said " thanks your highness , but I really just did it so I could make this lighter weight category

Without missing a beat, Prince Phillip said, "jolly good, now let me help hold you while you try this weight" and immediately strode across and sat atop his lower body to hold him down.

Although he spent 73 years at the Queens side, he was a character, his own man. He is beloved around the Commonwealth especially by my generation  and will be sorely missed, no more than by his wife and family.

RIP Sir

Bryan Angus



No comments:

Post a Comment