with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, February 17, 2012

Westwood honoured with the OBE

If you wondered why Lee Westwood isn't at Riviera or in India this week, he had a more important engagement to attend to. His big day at Buckingham Palace...

Lee Westwood has spoken of his pride at collecting his OBE from the Queen at Buckingham Palace and admitted he was far more nervous beforehand than he ever gets out on the golf course.

The 38 year old received the award in the Queen's Birthday Honours list last June for his services to the sport after rising to World Number One in 2010.

"It was amazing really, one of the best days of my life. It was a great honour," he said after collecting his medal."Little lad, 12 years old, starting golf over in Worksop at Kilton Forest Golf Club, you don't imagine you're going to be stood receiving an OBE from the Queen one day at Buckingham Palace, so it's a fantastic experience.


"I'm very proud, to have my wife, parents and children here is very special and it's a nice day for everyone to enjoy and celebrate."

Westwood revealed he had enjoyed a brief chat with the Queen about golf, but was more keen to try and turn the conversation to another sporting pursuit."She seemed to know a little bit about golf and I've played with Prince Andrew in the past so maybe he's told her a few things about it," he continued. "I really wanted to get into talking about race horses with her but we didn't have time for that."I must admit I did get sweaty palms inside there waiting for my turn, it's nothing like being on the golf course when you're in a comfort zone - it was a nerve-wracking experience. But I'm full of admiration for the Royal Family and what they do for this country so that's probably why I was nervous."

Speaking of his ambitions for the year ahead, the World Number Two admitted that a maiden major championship remained his overriding priority.

"Hopefully (I'll win) a major championship," he added. "I've got a few tournaments coming up in America and I've started the year okay. I'm looking forward to obviously improving this year and winning one of those big ones."

Westwood will be in the elite WGC field at the Accenture Match Play in Arizona next week.


Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles and at http://www.isr1050.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment