with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, February 24, 2012

Round 3 previews, my predictionsand the results at Accenture Match Play

"Come on guys we've got to keep talkin'" said Sir Nick Faldo around 5.30pm yesterday when the TV crew including his in tower partner Terry Gannon covering for the GC and NBC sat in stunned silence as Tiger Woods completely missed the hole from 6 feet on the 18th, took off his hat and shook Nick Watney's hand after losing to the quiet American 1up.

So now we have 3 of the top 4 players in the world in today's 8 matches, but again as I have said for years, these guys are so focused on Tiger they do the rest of the tournament a complete disservice. The last 2 finals here have been all European Tour events with Poulter winning over Casey in 2010 and Donald over Kaymer last year while Tiger was in sex therapy....

In the aftermath of yesterday's round 2, we had just a ridiculous weighting of the coverage, analysis from Rich Lerner, Brandel Chamblee, Charlie Rymer, Tim Rosaforte etal on what was wrong with Tiger as usual, and from Kelly Tilghman a sorrowful, " we'll see Tiger next week at the Honda right here on the Golf Channel" as if to say, "Stay with us please folks, our guy will be back soon"..

Well as usual it just makes guys and there are many, like me glad Woods is back at his mansion on Jupiter Island, not because I don't like or admire him but because now we will finally get some unbiased coverage of the tournament, although I'm sure they have a Tiger package ready to serve up before today's coverage gets underway..

For those who still care here are today's matches from pgatour.com with my analysis in bold

Match Time (ET) Player Player Bracket


49 12:50 p.m. 1. Martin Kaymer vs 4. Matt Kuchar Hogan
Match Play records: Kaymer 9-4, Kuchar 8-2
Last year Kaymer reached the finals, while Kuchar reached the semifinals. Now one of them will suffer an earlier exit. Kaymer has not trailed after any of his 34 holes this week; Kuchar has not trailed after any of his 34 holes this week. Obviously something will have to give between two players who seem to thrive in this format. For the German, it's his second consecutive match against an American -- he beat David Toms 2 up in the second round. Although Kaymer and Kuchar were on opposite Ryder Cup squads in 2010, they did not face each other. But perhaps this is a precursor to this year's Ryder Cup. "It will be nice to play against him," Kaymer said. "He's a nice guy; he's always smiling. I think we'll have a good game tomorrow."

I say..I had Martin getting the boot by Toms yesterday, but he is playing like the Martin of old now and obviously has this course figured out, so I give him the nod over the very steady and talented Kuchar but it should be close.. extras very possible

RESULT..Kuchar wins 4 and 3
50 1:02 p.m. 2. Steve Stricker vs 6. Hunter Mahan Hogan
Match Play records: Stricker 12-8, Mahan 5-4
These two met in 2008 in the second round, with Stricker winning in 20 holes. "It was a lot of fun," Mahan remembered. If Mahan plays like he did on Thursday, it won't be a lot of fun for Stricker. Mahan reeled off six birdies in a seven-hole stretch in an easy win against Y.E. Yang while Stricker had to rally against Louis Oosthuizen, winning with a 21-foot putt at the last. "Good match play player," Stricker said of Mahan. "He's in every hole, doesn't hit it crooked ... It's tough playing a friend. You've got to put that friendship aside for a day and try to beat him."

I say .. Hunter, coached by my pal Sean Foley was very impressive yesterday, so in a tough pick I'll take him just on a bit better form right now than Steve..

RESULT..Mahan wins 4 and 3

51 1:14 p.m. 1. Lee Westwood vs 4. Nick Watney Snead
Match Play records: Westwood 9-11, Watney 6-2
It's uncharted territory for Westwood, who's playing in the third round for the first time in 12 Match Play starts. His reward is facing a player who has eliminated him in each of the past two years. Watney won 2 and 1 in 2010 and 1 up last year. But this is a different Westwood than in past visits to Tucson. Consider this: In 33 holes played, Westwood has been ahead after 32 of them and has never trailed. From the 12th hole on, his lead has been at least 2 up after every hole. "Obviously he's in form," Watney noted. "There may be a bit of revenge factor, I'm not sure. I know it's going to be a really difficult match." Said a confident Westwood: "I feel the way I'm playing I'll be tough to beat."

I say.. Lee really impressed me yesterday with his aggressive play, good driving, accurate approach play and solid putting, I think he is over the Arizona hump. He will need to be to beat a very good Watney. 

RESULT.. Westwood wins 3 and 2

52 1:26 p.m. 10. Martin Laird vs 11. Paul Lawrie Snead
Match Play records: Laird 2-1, Lawrie 6-4
After Lawrie won the 1999 British Open, he was asked to speak to a group of about 30 Scottish kids. One of those was a 17-year-old Laird. "I don't remember Martin," Lawrie said. "... but he did tell me the story." Now the two Scots face off, the 43-year-old Lawrie from Aberdeen against the 29-year-old Laird from Glasgow. They've practiced together but have never been paired together in a tournament and don't really know each other that well. "I'm sure there won't be too much chatting going on tomorrow," Laird said. Even so ... "It should be good fun," Lawrie said. But Laird will need to put aside his admiration of Lawrie, who has made an unlikely run to the third round. "I remember looking up to him then, thinking this where I want to go," Laird recalled about that encounter a long time ago, in which Lawrie brought the Claret Jug for the kids to see. "I want to be holding the trophy like he is. And it's kind of funny now I'm playing him tomorrow right here in Arizona."

I say..Well in the old country, Glaswegians make fun of the chughters (choo-ghters, means something akin to hillbillies) from Aberdeen, but I know Martin Laird won't be making fun of one of his idols Paul Lawrie today. I have been picking Paul from the outset, so I'll stick with him today in a close one, he is in the form of his life..

RESULT.. Laird wins 3 and 1

53 1:38 p.m. 9. Peter Hanson vs 5. Brandt Snedeker Jones
Match Play records: Hanson 4-4, Snedeker 2-1
Snedeker and Hanson were paired together in the first two rounds at Muirfield Village in 2010. Hanson posted the better score in both rounds. Does that mean anything? Not really. But Snedeker is impressed by the Swede. "A great ball-striker," Snedeker said. "Probably one of the best out there. If he gets his putter working, he's pretty tough to beat." Of course, the same could be said for Sneds, who says his putting has been mediocre this year. "If I can get my putter going, just average, like it normally is, I should have a really good weekend."

I say.. Extra holes is what I say with the Huckleberry Finn of golf Brandt Snedeker edging Peter out. I never give Snedeker the credit he deserves when he is playing like he is, didn't pick him in the first 2 rounds, learned my lesson and will pick him today.

RESULT  Hanson wins 5 and 3

54 1:50 p.m. 10. Mark Wilson vs 3. Dustin Johnson Jones
Match Play records: Wilson 3-1, Johnson 2-3
Wilson is tied for 159th in driving distance on the PGA TOUR this year; Johnson is seventh (and that's low for him). Johnson has already beaten two guys not known for their distance off the tee (Jim Furyk, Francesco Molinari) and now faces a third. But Wilson has been solid this week; he has yet to trail after any of his 32 holes. And last year, he beat Dustin in 19 holes. "He's a great match play player," Johnson said. "He's a good all-around player. It will be a tough match."

I say..As utterly impressive as DJ was yesterday hammering Francesco into an early submission, I am sticking to my guns on the style of player Mark Wilson is. Luke Donald is similar and he won it last year. You don't have to be a bomber here, just keep it in play, hit accurate irons to the right side of the greens and make a few putts. I pick Mark again, I just think he will make less mistakes than DJ

RESULT..Wilson wins 4 and 3

55 2:02 p.m. 1. Rory McIlroy vs 13. Miguel Angel Jimenez Player
Match Play records: McIlroy 7-3, Jimenez 11-10
McIlroy said he hasn't had his best stuff this week, but the fact that he's advanced this far is telling. "I'm confident that I can hang in there," McIlroy said. He'll have his hands full with the 48-year-old Spaniard, the oldest player in the field this week. Jimenez is one of six player who have not trailed in either of their first two matches. "I've been playing well," he said. If Jimenez goes on to win this week, he would be the oldest Match Play winner ... by 10 years.

I say.. What a delightful scalp for the "mechanic" yesterday, beating a redhot Keegan Bradley, that though will be the highlight of Miguel's week. Rory is heading for the world's number 1 slot, and will be too good for his Ryder Cup mate today.

RESULT.. McIlroy wins 3 and 1
56 2:14 p.m. 10. John Senden vs 11. Sang-moon Bae Player
Match Play records: Senden 2-1, Bae 2-0
Hold up your hand if you had this matchup on your bracket. Bae's a PGA TOUR rookie who has beaten a past Match Play champ (Ian Poulter) and the reigning Masters champ (Charl Schwartzel). His front nines have been messy -- six boeys, three birdies -- but he's been solid on the back side at the Ritz-Carlton course. Senden is making just his second Match Play appearance, but you can't overlook his solid play on the PGA TOUR this year. He ranks first in ball-striking, tied for second in total driving and third in scoring average.

I say.. Bae has surprised me with his poise, I never saw him play much before this week, he is good, however I have picked Senden all along and in his present form listed above I am staying with him until the next round..

RESULT..Bae wins 1 up

My record for today was 4-4

Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles and at http://www.isr1050.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment