with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, November 10, 2018

Gabby Lopez hangs on to win the Blue Bay LPGA

Blue Bay LPGA final leaderboard http://www.lpga.com/leaderboard

It wasn't pretty, bogey, bogey finish, +1 73, but it was just enough to give Gabby Lopez her first LPGA win one shot ahead of Ariya Jutanugarn in the Blue Bay tournament in China. She finished at -8 280. She was dressed in the colours of the Mexican flag.

Playing with Lopez, Jutanugarn had a birdie on the final hole to also finish on 73 -7 total 281 while Celine Boutier was 7 shots better with a 66 -6 282 total good for 3rd place.

Lopez is the first winner from Mexico since the great Lorena Ochoa. "I mean, she's been my inspiration my entire life," Lopez said of Ochoa. "That's why I'm actually a professional golfer."
Ochoa retired in her prime in 2010 to raise a family. She was the LPGA's top-ranked golfer for several years winning 27 LPGA Tour events.

Lopez said she was also thinking of her grandfather, Jose Lopez, who died recently.
"I always told him that I was going to give him my first trophy. Sadly I didn't, but he was with me all week long and I couldn't be more lucky, more fortunate to have him still alive in me."

Canadian scores : Alena Sharp 69 76 75 75 +7 T33, Brittany Marchand 72 75 77 78 +14 T61

This wraps up the 5 event Asian swing and the field returns to Naples, Florida next week  for the Race to CME Globe final to end the 2018 season. Brooke Henderson is projected  at #3.  http://www.lpga.com/race-to-cme-globe/projected-points-standing.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment