with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Ernie Els returns to play in Mauritius paradise this week

European Tour Afrasia Bank Mauritius Open tee times http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019003/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#/leaderboard

Last week the pairing of Nick Taylor and Adam Hadwin had the best Canadian result in 25 years at the World Cup of Golf in Melbourne, T4 and while Hadwin made the 14 hour flight back to Abbotsford in B.C., Taylor has decided to stay and play in the Australian PGA Championship and I'll have live scoring and details on that in my next post.

Meanwhile if you ever wonder how far this game has spread around the world, this week some of the players at the World Cup and the rest of the European Tour has flown into a tiny island paradise in the middle of the Indian Ocean called Mauritius. for the Afrasia Bank Mauritius Open.

It is 2000 kilometers off the SE coast of Africa and was a British colony until 1965 when it gained independence. The religion is mainly Hindu with English and French listed as the main languages.

Ernie Els designed the Four Seasons Golf Club there and has returned to play it for the first time in 10 years. Ernie was in Melbourne as the captain of this year's Presidents Cup team so he decided to stop off on his way back to South Africa.

"It's really exciting to be back, I haven't been back here since we opened the course. It's so nice to have a tournament of this stature played on our golf course. It's been ten years since we opened the course and that was the last time I played it.

We've done quite a few courses since then but it comes flooding back to you.
I played the front nine earlier, I'll play the back nine now and get myself reacquainted with things - get my memory going again and remember why I put certain things where I did because ten years ago I was a different person playing golf and designing.
I would like to see what I have done well and what I've done badly.
 
Els said the course was in good shape but issued a warning to the strong field assembled in Mauritius this week about the challenging greens. "We have wider fairways but most of the holes were built thinking about the winds off the ocean. The greens are pretty small and they are quite undulating so that is where your challenge will be this week.
 
Steven Lecuyer is a 30 year old Canadian who has a residence in Bear Mountain, Rockland County, New York,  and has been playing this year on something called the Vodacom Tour which is the winter swing of the Sunshine Tour. He Monday qualified to play here this week.
 
Bryan Angus

 

No comments:

Post a Comment