with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, September 22, 2024

Good guy Horschel wins BMM PGA Championship in a playoff.. Final results..

 DP World TOUR : BMW PGA Championship : Results

Billy Horschel lifted the BMW PGA Championship for the second time in his career after seeing off Thriston Lawrence and Rory McIlroy in a thrilling play-off at Wentworth Club.

Billy Horschel prevails in thrilling play-off for second Wentworth win

The World Number 24 had been a picture of consistency at Virginia Water, which included a career-best seven straight birdies during Moving Day, and carded four rounds in the 60s.

The American, who nearly holed out his third shot at the par-five last, ended with a birdie-birdie finish to climb alongside the leading pair at 20 under before the trio returned to the 18th hole for the play-off.

Lawrence blinked first after a wayward tee-shot and then found the fairway bunker and water to be the first to be eliminated as McIlroy and Horschel calmly rolled in birdies to force a second extra hole.

The rivals could not be separated as they both found the green in two before McIlroy narrowly slid by his eagle effort.

However, Horschel only needed one putt for a stunning eagle to win this Rolex Series event for the second time in four years.

"I mean I'm thrilled, excited for the way I played," the 37-year-old said. "It was a battle out there today and at the same time a little bit disappointed, Rory is a good friend of mine and I think the world of him.

"I think he's a generational talent and I know how close he's been this year so I can feel for him, but at the same time I'm pretty excited for being able to get it done today.

"I had to have a little bit of luck. After the bogey at 15, I knew I was a little behind the eight ball. Thriston didn't birdie the last two par fives so it gave us an opening.

"Listen, Rory could have easily birdied the last hole, he was in prime position to. So a lot of luck on my side to get this victory today.

"I grind my butt off, I always do and always will. I got at every shot, I ground it out and did that today. I hit some really good shots out there and made some really good putts, that's what you have to do when you aren't firing on all cylinders.

"I do enjoy coming over here," added Horschel. "I do enjoy all parts of the U.K. I do fancy London, especially Surrey. I've made some great friends over here that I hang out with and spend time with.

"As I've told people over the years, it wouldn't shock me if somewhere down the road I do buy a little place over here and spend some time over here in the summer when my kids are grown up and out of the house."

edit *** Canada's Aaron Cockerill finished his week T35 70 67 71 71 -9 worth 57,500 euros ($87,030 cdn) now ranked 38th in the Race to Dubai.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus




No comments:

Post a Comment