with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, September 29, 2024

Hidalgo beats LIV Jon Rahm in a playoff to win Spanish Open..final results

 DP World Tour : Spanish Open Results

Angel Hidalgo held off three-time champion Jon Rahm in a play-off to win the 2024 acciona Open de España presented by Madrid.

He had  gone head-to-head in an all-Spanish final group with David Puig, with Rahm's birdie-birdie finish leaving them tied at 14 under par.


Angel Hidalgo wins in Madrid after play-off with Jon Rahm

birdied the first extra hole but after Rahm's chip slipped past second time, Hidalgo holed a two-foot putt for victory.

He said: "Two or three years ago, I was in the first tee, in the trees, supporting Jon - without playing, I just come here to Madrid to see the tournament.

"To be here and win the tournament is unreal. Oh, my gosh, it's amazing."

It was the first all-Spanish final group at the national Open since 2019, when Rahm won comfortably ahead of Rafa Cabrera Bello and Samuel Del Val.

It was closer this time, right from the off as Hidalgo's two-shot overnight advantage was wiped out at the first hole - he missed a three-foot putt and made bogey while Rahm, also champion in 2018 and 2022, started with a birdie, as did Puig to lie one shot behind.

Playoff

Rahm's tee-shot second time headed off towards the grandstand and after he chipped through the green, Hidalgo could nurse his ball close before holing a two-foot winning putt.

He said: "I was pretty relaxed all day, even the first tee, I don't know why. Even when I missed the short putt (at the first) - or this one, hole 72 - I was not discouraged.

"On the eighth tee, I thought David Puig is going to win the tournament by eight because he was hitting amazing, and Jon and myself made a few mistakes.

"That's amazing. That's for everyone that was there and believed in me, and yeah, my team, my family, especially my caddie, he's my best friend

Rahm paid tribute to Hidalgo and hailed the impact of Sunday's finale on Spanish golf.

"May he enjoy it," he said. "Winning at home, winning a Spanish Open with all the support that there has been. You could tell how much he felt it and how important it was for him. 

"What happened today helps. Having a final like this, no matter who wins, helps those kids who were watching here or on TV to want to try playing golf to experience moments like today’s.".

europeantour.com\

Bryan Angus Edit



No comments:

Post a Comment