with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, June 27, 2015

Red hot Fowler joins Watson, Maggert for halfway lead at Senior US Open


Champions Tour US Senior Open leaderboard http://espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tour=champions

Peter Fowler continued his superb form in the month of June as he joined Tom Watson and Jeff Maggert at the top of the leaderboard at the halfway stage of the US Senior Open, with defending champion Colin Montgomerie just a shot back in Sacramento.

Fowler posted a four under par second round of 66, which included seven birdies, for a five under par total, while Maggert was one shot lower, with a superb round of 65. First round pacesetter Watson signed for a one under par round of 69 to maintain a share of the lead, with Montgomerie perfectly poised on four under par after his second consecutive round of 68.

Australian Fowler has already won twice this month, claiming the Acorn Jersey Open and the ISPS Handa PGA Seniors Championship, having also finished joint runner up in the SSE Enterprise Wales Senior Open at the end of May.

He credits his run with an improvement on the greens in recent weeks.

I've been really happy with my game,” he said. “It is the best I've putted for 20 years. I've got a new putter, and it's nicely balanced, and it's suited me. My good golf started when I qualified for the US Senior Open in Kansas a month ago. It's carried on.”
In searing heat at Del Paso Country Club, Watson’s challenge did not wilt as he made four birdies and three bogeys. The 65 year old is trying to become the oldest player to win a Senior Major Championship and complete the grand slam of Senior Majors.

"I still have nerves," said Watson. "If you don't have nerves, you're lying. The guys out here, if you're playing in this competition, there's an element of pressure that affects you. But the thing is I played under this type of pressure all my life."
Montgomerie is hoping to add the US Senior Open to his US Senior PGA Championship title for a second consecutive year, and the Scot is satisfied with his position.

Two 68s is safe. A 68 yesterday was safe, and it is today. I didn't hole much today. Holed a couple putts yesterday. Three birdies and a bogey is nothing to shout home about. But I’m determined as anyone to try my best over the weekend and try and win this again.”

Germany’s Bernhard Langer (66) and Englishman Paul Wesselingh (68) are among six players sharing seventh position on three under par, while Barry Lane is a shot further back following a round of 70.
 
europeantour.com

No comments:

Post a Comment