with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, February 26, 2012

Semi-finals previews, live scoring for the Accenture World Matchplay.

live scoring click here.. http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/leaderboards/current/r470/index.html

Play in the semi finals has just begun, remember the guys play both the semi's and the final today, both over 18 holes. Here are my previews with notes from pgatour.com and my analysis.

Once the final is set I will be back on to preview it as well.

61 Hunter Mahan vs. Mark Wilson 
Wilson certainly has been at the top of his game this week at Dove Mountain. He's been as opportunistic this week as Mahan has been explosive. I think Mark is going to hit a lot of fairways, a lot of greens," Mahan said. "He's a steady, consistent player. He's playing well now. It would be fun to play against a Ping guy in Arizona. That will be exciting.
Wilson hasn't trailed since the fifth hole of his first round match with Bo Van Pelt, a stretch of 57 holes. Every hole I'm out there trying to make as low a score as possible, without taking on much risk,"

He credits the change in outlook to his work with sports psychologist Bob Rotella.

"I came to him and said there's some things in my swing I don't like," Wilson recalled. "Do I need to just step away from the game and focus hard on those and get those in place? And he looked at me like, no, when you decide that what you have now is good enough, that's when you'll succeed. And all of a sudden, I started practicing less and lo and behold I played better


Mahan has gone 40 straight holes without trailing, dating back to the third hole of his win over Y.E. Yang.The red-hot Mahan has made 22 birdies, two of which were conceded, in his last three matches. Mahan  has relied on a brilliant short game this week. He's using Ping's Nome putter for the first time and he's found it easier to keep the ball on line. The work he's done on his chipping in the last year or so has also paid dividends.


"It's been a steady process getting my swing more consistent, a better understanding of such things," Mahan said. "And my short game has come around, which is going to help a lot. ... If I can get up and down and make a few putts, I'm going to have a good week. It's been pretty consistent so far this year, I will keep improving there."

I say..Like the jockey who gives up a mount he has won on, for another he thinks is just better when the big race comes along. I am changing horses. All week I have picked Wilson and no matter what happens this has been a great week for him, but I am picking Hunter today. First he drives the ball better, second he has fallen in love with his new Ping Nome putter, third he is just red hot this week, and fourth I like the way he has travelled the world to play over the last 4 months, down to Australia at the end of 2011, then out to the middle east earlier this year. Travelling with and playing against the world's best in different country's, conditions and courses not only makes him a better player, but a better person, and this year we are seeing a more grown up, experienced Hunter Mahan.

RESULT.. Mahan wins 2 and 1
62 Rory McIlroy vs. Lee Westwood
"My priorities this year were to win major championships and win World Golf Championships because I haven't ever won any," Westwood said simply. "You want to win the big tournaments where the best players are playing and I've given myself a great chance early in the year to do that."

Westwood, who had never advanced past the second round in 11 previous Accenture Match Play Championship appearances, is now in the semifinals after disposing of Martin Laird 4 and 2 in Saturday's final match

McIlroy, who at 22 would be the youngest winner of any World Golf Championship, said the reason he wanted to tee it up against Westwood is simple. "You want to try to beat the best players," he said. "This is why we practice. This is why we work so hard."

McIlroy prevailed in a tight match with PGA TOUR rookie Sang-moon Bae that ended in a 3-and-2 decision.


An interesting sidebar is that Rory left Chubby Chandler's agency last year and Chandler is still Lee's agent and close friend although Westwood was quick to point out that had no bearing on their continued friendship. "We don't spend as much time together as we did when we were in the same management group, but that's understandable," Westwood said with a shrug. "Rory doesn't want to spend time with the people that manage me, and I don't want to spend time with the people that manage Rory."

I say..We are down to the real short strokes now, these 2 should provide some breath taking shots today, I was just on air (tsn1050radio, International Sports Report) and picked Lee over Rory only because I think Rory is a little more volatile, more likely to put one in the desert and make a big number than Lee who is driving it superbly, and is the better of the two overall from tee to green.  Remember this is over 18 holes, so mistakes are magnified. Also from a human standpoint Lee is 38, Rory 22 and will have many more of these opportunities ahead, Lee not so many..

RESULT..Rory wins 3 and 1

***PING are the big winners today with Wilson, Mahan and Westwood all using their equipment, Rory of course plays Titleist. Ping has it's world HQ close by in Phoenix..


Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles and at http://www.isr1050.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment