with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, June 26, 2023

South African Lawrence wins again, this time in Holland... final results

 D

DP World Tour : BMW International Open  Results

Thriston Lawrence claimed his second win of the season as he overhauled Joost Luiten on a dramatic final day in Germany to take the title at the BMW International Open.

BMW International Open: The Debrief

The South African entered the final day at Golfclub München Eichenried four shots behind his rival but had reeled him in by the turn before back-to-back three-putts on the 12th and 13th left him two behind with five to play.

The 17th then proved critical as Lawrence hit a stunning tee-shot to set up a birdie and Luiten three-putted the par-three to drop out of the lead for the first time all day.

Lawrence parred the last for a 69 to finish at 13 under and with Luiten unable to make a birdie on the par-five, the 26-year-old was left celebrating a fourth DP World Tour title.

Luiten's closing 74 left him a shot ahead of Kiwi Daniel Hillier, Japan's Rikuya Hoshino, local favourite Maximilian Kieffer and Pole Adrian Meronk.

Lawrence was the first winner of the DP World Tour era last season at the Joburg Open and he added another title at the Omega European Masters en route to being crowned the Sir Henry Cotton Rookie of the Year.

Another win in his homeland at the Investec South African Open Championship came at the start of this season but that was his last worldwide top ten and Lawrence cut an emotional figure as he reflected on a fourth win in 19 months.

"It means a lot," he said, fighting back tears after becoming just the second South African to win this trophy after the great Ernie Els.

"There's been a lot of hard work. I went to America for six weeks and made one cut - this game is not easy. It was a real boost today and I really gave it my all. I feel sorry for Joost, I know how tough this game is.

"I don't know why I'm so emotional but obviously it just shows that it means the world and to get my fourth victory in Germany is unbelievable.

"I seem to win a lot of events that Ernie has won. It's special, he's obviously the ultimate hero for me. I grew up in that era where he was on top of the world and it's very special to to get my name along alongside him."

Kieffer carded a 68, the same score as Meronk, with Hoshino signing for a 69 and Hillier recording a 71 to finish a shot ahead of Dutchman Daan Huizing, Dane Rasmus Neergaard-Petersen and Frenchman Matthieu Pavon.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment