with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, May 3, 2024

Swede Soderberg soars in Shenzhen... full leaderboard Saturday TEE Times

 DP World Tour : Volvo China Open Leaderboard  Tee Times

Sebastian Söderberg continued his rich vein of form to hold a three-shot lead at the halfway stage of the Volvo China Open.

Sebastian Söderberg shines to take commanding lead in Shenzhen

The Swede currently leads the Asian Swing, which concludes after this event at Hidden Grace Golf Club, following successive runner-up finishes at the Hero Indian Open and ISPS HANDA - CHAMPIONSHIP.

Söderberg admitted he was aiming to make his US PGA Championship debut at Valhalla Golf Club - the top three in the Asian Swing Rankings will earn a place if not already exempt - later this month after an opening round of 63, and he supported that effort with 65 on Friday.

He carded eight birdies and one dropped shot to move to a -16 total which no one could match, sitting three clear of England's Paul Waring.

Söderberg said: "It’s important to focus on my own game and not worry about how others are doing. It’s going to be a mental challenge over the weekend for sure.

"I feel pretty confident with my game at the moment, but obviously the pressure will be a lot higher with me at the top of the leaderboard heading into the weekend. I really need to keep my emotions in check and hopefully I can get over the line.

"I know what it takes to win out here and I’ve been in contention over the last two weeks. I’m going to stay as calm as possible."

Waring began the day three shots adrift of Söderberg and Langasque. "I’m very happy with my first 36 holes. I'm driving it great and my wedges have been good. There are a lot of birdie chances out there if you can get it in play off the tee and hit your wedges close."

Three-time DP World Tour winner Guido Migliozzi is one further adrift at -12, while Switzerland's Joel Girrbach registered a flawless 67 to head into the weekend at -11  alongside Spaniard Adrian Otaegui and Czech Gordan Brixi.

Filipino Lloyd Jefferson Go and South African Zander Lombard are one shot further back -10 with Austria's Matthias Schwab and Frenchman Frederic Lacroix at -9.

edit*** Canada's Aaron Cockerill was cruising along at -4 on the 17th tee, looking to make the cut which fell at -3. However he made a bogey 6 for the 2nd straight day at the par 5 17th and then a double bogey 6 at the par4 18th dropped him to -1 and a missed cut. 

With the US PGA Championship next on the DP World Tour schedule May 16-19 there is a break in the schedule for those not qualified until May 23 at the Soudal Open in Belgium.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment