with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, May 17, 2024

Scheffler arrest hysteria all a big mistake..

 PGA ChampionshipTee Times

For 25 years I attended many golf tournaments with our Fairways golf show @Fan590 always very early (6am or earlier) when just grounds crews security, paid police and a few PGA officials would be up and working, most of my time was broadcasting at the RBC Canadian Open.

Without proper credentials you make it difficult for yourself and the guys guarding the property to do their jobs. 

I have been chased by volunteer parking officials in golf carts as I tried to get parked with equipment near the media tent without the VIP pass, and often only my cheerful countenance, and the tournament directors cell phone number handy, saved the day. 

So when I saw pre 7am this morning, Scottie Scheffler had a run in with police as he was entering Valhalla, had been arrested and charged, it was no big surprise given the circumstances, not with standing the death of a vendor hit by a shuttle bus,  and also we all hear the horror stories of police over the top reaction to anyone who disobeys them.

By 9am it was all over, charges and the issue dropped, a cop who didn't know Sheffler with a red face, the ESPN+ hysteria died down.

All this would have been avoided with an iota of calmness and common sense in the early hours.

Here is his statement.

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do. I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I’m hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today. Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective."

Scheffler was charged with second-degree assault of a police officer, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding traffic signals from an officer directing traffic.

Scheffler was released on his own recognizance and arrived at Valhalla Golf Club at 9:12 a.m. ET.

Bryan Angus



No comments:

Post a Comment