with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, February 2, 2018

Westwood 62 shoots into contention at the Maybank Championship

European Tour Maybank Championship leaderboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018012/leaderboard/index.html#/leaderboard

Lee Westwood once again made himself at home in Malaysia as he fired a stunning 62 -10 total on day two of the Maybank Championship.The Englishman is a two-time winner of the Malaysian Open, with his first win in 1997 coming here at Saujana Golf & Country Club.

His second was his latest European Tour win in 2014 but after carding 11 birdies and a single bogey on Friday, the 44 year old is in contention for victory number 24 over the weekend.
 
"It’s nice to be in contention and to know this golf course well. I won the Malaysian Open here 21 years ago. I was touring pro for this course, so I’ve probably played it more than most and I know where to hit it".

"I hit it close a lot and a pretty pain-free round. Gave myself a lot of birdie chances, so it was a really good ball-striking round and I holed out well as well. I was pleased with the way today went and hopefully we can build on that more"

Thailand's Phachara Khongwatmai and Italian Nino Bertasio posted rounds of 65 to sit at the top of a congested leaderboard at -11.
 
Chris Paisley had held a one-shot lead when the first round was completed in the morning after Thursday's storm delay and he posted a 69 to join the group at -10.

 
There are 22 players within three shots of the lead, with the cut-line (-4) sitting just seven shots behind the leaders and leaving all to play for heading into round three.
 
Bryan Angus
(notes from europeantour.com)

 

 
 



Canadians: Austin Connelly 71 69 -4 T63, Richard T Lee 74 71 MC

No comments:

Post a Comment