with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, November 29, 2015

Schwartzel wins a record 4th Alfred Dunhill Championship

European Tour Alfred Dunhill Championship leaderboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2016/tournamentid=2015092/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#i37drtOqKKwFU0OW.97

Charl Schwartzel has now won this championship 4 times at Leopard Creek, although after a front nine in 36 it looked like it was going to be a struggle.

Jaco Van Zyl had posted an earlier -8 64 and was in the clubhouse at -7, so the guys behind him knew a low score is possible, but none of Schwartzel's pursuers could post one, and when he came home in 34 strokes for a 70 -15 total, it was enough for a four shot victory over 3 Frenchmen, Gregory Bourdy at -11, Benjamin Hebert at -10 and Sebastien Gros at -9.

Schwartzel has not won except for here, since his 2011 Masters. He had won at Leopard Creek in 2005, 2013 and 2014. With his fourth Alfred Dunhill Championship he becomes the first and youngest South African to win an official European Tour event four times and the third of his countrymen to win ten events behind Ernie Els and Retief Goosen.

To say he plays well on this magnificent course that runs adjacent to the Kruger National Park is an understatement. He is 122 under par in his 11 visits to Leopard Creek.

The victory puts him back in the top 40 and he said afterwards he is glad to see his hard work paying off. "It feels good, the way I've played the last few years, I've been down in quite a slump, I didn't really see myself coming out and winning. But we've put in so much hard work in the last 18 months and it's frustrating when week-in, week-out you're playing and it feels like it's never going to turn. I guess there's no better fit than for it to turn around here. This place has treated me really well. I got my first win here and now my tenth so I think it's pretty fitting

Bryan Angus











Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment