with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, March 9, 2015

Alex "Chubby" Cejka finally gets PGA Tour win....

PGA Tour Puerto Rico Open final scoreboard http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/puerto-rico-open.html




AP...Alex Cejka won the Puerto Rico Open for his first PGA Tour title, making a 15-foot birdie putt on the first hole of a five-man playoff.


The 44-year-old Czech-born German won in his 287th start on the PGA Tour. A four-time European Tour winner, he birdied four of the first six holes and finished with a -3 69 in rainy, windy conditions at Trump International-Puerto Rico.


"I'm speechless," Cejka said. "I'm glad it's over. It's been a grinding week, tough week. The first victory is always the toughest. ... These guys are good. I mean this is the slogan. At least I can say I played the PGA Tour for a long time and I won. So that's a good sentence I can use when I retire."


Sam Saunders, Arnold Palmer's grandson who has had little success as a pro so far, had a chance to force another playoff hole, but his 8-foot birdie try on the par-5 18th went to the right.


Jon Curran, Tim Petrovic and Argentina's Emiliano Grillo also were in the playoff.
Grillo and Curran shared the lead at -8  with one hole left in regulation, but closed with bogeys in the second-to-last group, but sadly for Grillo, he missed a 3 footer for the win and settled for a 70 and the playoff.


Cejka had already changed clothes, thinking he had no chance to get in a playoff, and was in shorts and a tee shot ready to get to the airport. "I had shorts on and a T-shirt and I had everything packed. Luckily, there was one more group, the final group coming, so I changed. But I didn't hit balls. Some of the guys were hitting balls in the rain or putting. But I literally just put some fresh clothes on me and some dry clothes and I was ready to go"


At 44 years, 3 months, 6 days, good guy Cejka is the oldest first-time winner since Ken Duke won the 2013 Travelers at 44 years, 4 months, 25 days. Grillo who has been solid so far this year and had the event in his hands, played on a sponsor exemption.


Canadians : Adam Hadwin T27 72 72 68 74 -2   Stephen Ames T47 72 72 74 70 E  Roger Sloan MC







No comments:

Post a Comment