with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A look at world #1 Martin Kaymer off the course..

I thought since many of you don't know much about our new World #1 Martin Kaymer, you would enjoy a little insight in an exclusive interview he gave to my pals at europeantour.com


New World Number One Martin Kaymer speaks to europeantour.com about his life away from the course and how his life is starting to resemble his favourite TV show.


Now you are becoming increasingly famous, is your life becoming more like your favourite TV programme – Entourage?

My manager Johan Elliott gave me the series when I was recovering from my broken foot. Once I started, I got hooked and love the show. It’s funny and obviously crazier than our life but there are similarities. It’s very funny and I just hope they make more episodes.

How about on the big screen – do you have a favourite film?

I really like Men of Honour. When I was in Germany recently I watched Gladiator. That was a good film. And I would like to watch Braveheart but my caddie tells me I might struggle with the English! I started watching Se7en with Brad Pitt and had to stop watching after about half an hour, not because I was too scared, but because I struggled to understand so I’ll have so watch it in German.

You have a new Play Station – are you any good?

I bought one a few weeks ago and when my brother and a friend came over to Phoenix we played almost every night, taking each other on with Fifa. My girlfriend is also pretty good.

Talking of football, you are a fan of Köln and have the team badge on your bag?

They are struggling a little at the moment near the bottom of the league but it is only halfway through the season and hopefully I can get to see them play sometime soon. I started supporting them when my Dad took me and my brother to a game maybe 15 years ago and I have supported them ever since. The first five or six years I was not so into it as I was doing my own things and was actually playing soccer for their rivals at Düsseldorf. But the last few years I have got to know some of the players at Köln and I support the team as much as I can and hopefully when I am home in Germany I can watch a game. I love the atmosphere at the matches, it is incredible.

How good were you at soccer?

Not bad. I was pretty successful and at 15 I had to make a choice as I was at the same level for both sports. I was as good at soccer as I was golf but chose golf. I played a little for Düsseldorf and for my home club next to my house. I was picked out by scouts in trials and it was great. I was getting successful but chose golf and focused on that.

You also like cars as we are often seeing you driving around in the desert and taking cars off road – why the passion there?

My favourite car is a BMW M3. I enjoy that especially in Germany where you can go a little faster than anywhere else in the world. I have a Mini Cooper as well which is quite cool. I enjoy it and when I have time I like to do test driving and learn more about the cars. When I was at school and you have to go on work experience, I worked for a car company and really got into cars and learning more about them. It is an interest of mine. I prefer off-road to the track though. I have been out in the desert with a BMW driving instructor and he taught me how to drive on sand, with less air in the tyres. It’s a lot of fun.

Have you given up go-karting now?

I have been back once, three months after the accident, but I drove like a little girl I was so slow and it was more embarrassing than fun. That was more than a year ago. Maybe I’ll give it another go.

It’s also been reported you like rock-climbing as well?

I have been a couple of times in Germany – in Cologne and Dusseldorf – and I never knew it was so tough. I also had a go in Abu Dhabi last year on the Tuesday and after four hours, my fingers were still hurting. We always do it wrong by trying to show our strength and pulling ourselves up with our arms and biceps rather than using our legs. It’s a fun sport.

What’s the next extreme sport for you then?

In Phoenix there is one huge mountain called the Camelback and I would like to do some hiking there. I have heard it is dangerous, not really a walk but a proper climb. I am planning on this when I am back in Scottsdale. My girlfriend has done it so if she can do it, I am sure I can!


Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment