with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, November 18, 2023

Wallace flirts with 59, leads jam packed DP World Tour Championship...Saturday results..

 DP World Tour : Tour Championship Leaderboard

Matt Wallace birdied every hole on the back nine at Jumeirah Golf Estates as he carded a career-best round of 60 on day three of the DP World Tour Championship.

Matt Wallace makes nine birdies in a row in Dubai

The Englishman only made it into the season-ending event courtesy of his finish at last week's Nedbank Golf Challenge but was certainly making the most of his chance on a remarkable afternoon over the Earth course.

His nine birdies in a row, 12 birdies in a round, nine-hole score of 27 and nine-hole score to par of nine under all match DP World Tour bests but will not go in the record books due to preferred lies being in place.

That did not take any of the shine off the remarkable achievement, however, with Wallace almost holing his bunker shot on the last for an eagle and a 59 as he moved to 16 under and right into contention for a first Rolex Series title.

"What a day, an amazing day," he said. "I just tried my hardest to get myself back into the tournament. I'm really happy that I've been able to do that. Played great.

"At the end, I didn't even think there was a 59. Honestly I think it helped me a little bit. I just played nicely coming down the stretch, just keep getting one more if I could and I managed to do that.

"Kind of gutted now actually a little bit. Great opportunity to do it. I've done it at Moorpark on the West Course which is only a par 68, but to do it out there would have been really special today.

"Ball in hand helps. I had a couple good lies for up-and-down, but it was fantastic and a good effort for 59."

edit >>>> 72 68 60 -16 however only leads by a shot heading into Sunday. Tommy Fleetwood 69 66 66 -15 along with Viktor Hovland 69 66 66 -15 will ensure Wallace won't have it easy.

Two Danes, Jeff Winther 72 66 64 -14 and Nicolai Hojgaard 67 66 70 -13 along with 12 players including defending champion Jon Rahm 72 66 67 -11 will all be bidding for this prestigious title.

Rory finally got in gear, 71 72 65 -8, but would appear out of it, however watch for one of the famous McIIlroy Sunday spectaculars we've witnessed so often in the past.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)


No comments:

Post a Comment