with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, August 31, 2018

Henderson's hot run continues with a bogey free 64 in Portland

LPGA Tour Cambia Portland Classic leaderboard http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/cambia-portland-classic/leaderboard

Playing the week after a big win can go either way for a player. Either it's a complete letdown after all the success and ballyhoo that goes with it, or they can be freed up not expecting much from themselves, and go out and play great, albeit often on fumes.

Well it was the latter for Brooke Henderson on a course she loves at the Cambia Portland Classic which she won in 2015 and 2016.

She birdied five of the last six holes for a bogey free -8 64 coming off her victory at the CP Women’s Open in Regina.

“I could see the scores were really low today, so I wanted to go low on the back nine, and I was able to get five birdies. I’m really happy with this round.

She and Minjee Lee, also at eight under are two shots behind American Marina Alex, who opened with a sensational -10 62.

I didn’t think that they were going to go that low, so I kind of had to do some readjusting,” said Henderson.

I knew that the birdies were out there. I felt like the pins were in places where you could attack, but you also had to play smart and I felt like I did a good job of hitting to the wide parts of the greens and giving ourselves good birdie looks.

Henderson sits second in the Race to the CME Globe, a season-long points contest that awards a US$1 million bonus to the winner. She trails Thailand’s Ariya Jutanugarn by 1,098 points with eight events left.

I feel like it was a big move for my CME and also my world ranking winning last week, which is really exciting to see those numbers go closer to the top. Hopefully I can just finish strong and put myself in a good position going into CME"

Other Canadian scores. Brittany Marchand  -3 69.  Alena Sharp and Anne-Catherine Tanguay E 72. Lori Kane +4,76.  Maude-Aimee Leblanc +6,78.

Sharp's special Humboldt Bronco's green and yellow bag raised $19,000 at auction.

Of note England's Karen Stupples who is an LPGA commentator on the Golf Channel and has been suffering with ADT had a -3 69 in her first tour start in more than two years.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment