with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, February 3, 2011

LPGA stars are in Australia, Lorie Kane 8 shots behind..

I can only follow this off the computer, but many of the world's LPGA stars make the trek down under at this time of year to play in the Australian Womens Open.. Lorie Kane and Nancy Swift are our Canuck contingent..

Here is an AP report

MELBOURNE, Australia - Jennifer Song of the United States has shot a 6-under-par 67 to earn a share of the first-round lead at the Women's Australian Open.


Song was tied with South Korea's Jiyai Shin, who was playing her first event of the year. Rebecca Coakley of Ireland was in third place with a 68, while three golfers were tied for fourth with 69s: Australian Nikki Campbell, Eun Ji of South Korea and Anne-Lise Caudal of France.

Defending champion Yani Tseng bogeyed her final hole to finish at 3-under par.

"This morning my goal was 5-under par because I had a good feeling. It is not an easy course but I am very comfortable," Shin said. "I played early morning so I played without the wind. There was a little bit of rain that soaked the greens so I was really aggressive with every shot to the pin. I missed three or four greens but my short game and putting were good."

Two former Australian Open champions were further back: Laura Davies of England shot 71 and Australia's Karrie Webb 72.

"My whole round was very scratchy, I actually hit more quality shots in my first nine holes than I did on the back nine," said Webb. "I managed to get it around. I did some good things."

Lorie Kane of Charlottetown shot an opening round 75 while Nancy Harvey of Swift Current, Sask., opened with a 79.

Lydia Ko, the 13-year-old golf prodigy from New Zealand, opened with a 73 while U.S. teenage phenom Alexis Thompson struggled to a 78.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment