with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Karlsson will try life in America for a year as he joins PGA tour

Golf really is an international game... Robert Karlsson from Sweden lives in Monaco ( to avoid taxes),  defends his championship in Qatar starting tomorrow, plays all over the world on the European tour, and is now moving his family to Charlotte NC to give the PGA tour a shot for 1 year at 41 years of age.


Here are excerpts from his interview with Reuters
“I joined the U.S. Tour because it’s something I wanted to do, rather than end my career by not becoming a member and then saying to myself, ‘I wish I had at least played one full season in the States’,” 

“I got the chance to join having finished runner-up to Lee Westwood last year at the St Jude Classic in Memphis ... and I’m really looking forward to the challenge.

I played a good few tournaments there in 2007 but this year it will be a full 15-event schedule,” added the world number 16 ahead of his Qatar Masters title defence this week.

Karlsson, who also won the Dubai World Championship in November, and his family have vacated their Monte Carlo home and bought a property in Charlotte.

“I was in Charlotte on one of my first visits to America and I liked the city and the region,” explained Karlsson. “I’m only 15-20 minutes drive from Quail Hollow and I went there after New Year to play a round so I will add that event to my schedule.

“My schedule this year will be to play the minimum 15 events I have to play in the States and also the 12 or 13 you have to play on the European Tour.

My wife and children have moved over and they’re very happy with the move from Monaco. Having a base over there is going to be a big plus,” added the former Ryder Cup player.


Karlsson, though, is one of four top European Tour members who will try their hand States-side this year, along with U.S. Open winner Graeme McDowell, British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen and South African Charl Schwartzel.


“In contrast to Rory ... I’m married and my family are now settling in the States and that’s going to make it easier all round,” said the Swede.


“Also the problem is that if I did not become a PGA Tour member I would only be entitled as a top-50 world-ranked player to four invites plus the Players Championship.

I want to play more than that in the States, at least for one season, and then depending on how I perform I will reassess it at the end of this year,” said Karlsson.

I’m defending here in Qatar and then playing at the Dubai Desert Classic next week before taking a week off and then starting in the U.S. at the Los Angeles Open.”

Play begins in the wee hours of the morning est, so watch here for all the news and of course your comments please

Best on what has been a day of shoveling for me as this storm system moved through, but contrary to the gang at the Weather Network, the world did not come to an end today >>!!

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment