with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, December 17, 2023

It's Louis Oosthuizen with 2 wins in 6 days.... final results/prize money

 DP World Tour : AfrAsia Bank Mauritius OpenResults

Louis Oosthuizen made it back-to-back DP World Tour wins after prevailing in an enthralling final-day battle at the AfrAsia Bank Mauritius Open.

Louis Oosthuizen claims second win in a week in Mauritius

The South African entered round four at Heritage La Réserve Golf Club with a one-shot lead but soon saw that disappear as playing partner Jacques P de Villiers 71 -14, England's Laurie Canter 68 -15 and the charging Sebastian Söderberg all staked a claim.

It was nip and tuck over a dramatic back nine in the Indian Ocean but in the end Oosthuizen's 69 was enough to hand him a two-shot victory over Canter at -17.

South African de Villiers, Swede Söderberg - who carded the lowest round of the day with a 63 - and England's Daniel Brown 65 finished at -14 one clear of South Africa's Jayden Schaper 69 -13.

Oosthuizen's victory also saw Min Woo Lee crowned the winner of the Opening Swing, handing the Australian US$200,000 and a place in the second part of the DP World Tour season - the Back 9.

The triumph at the weather-delayed Alfred Dunhill Championship last time out was Oosthuizen's first for five years but he now has two in six days, with this week's coming over a course he co-designed with Peter Matkovich.

"Golf is the strangest thing," he said. "The last five weeks I've not done a lot with golf, I've played a few rounds and when I got to Leopard Creek I was working on a small little thing. I started hitting it really good and I know I'm putting well and then I just carried on with that momentum.

"I started off very poorly and that errant second shot on 16 made it interesting but I hit a few good shots coming in... I'm glad I held onto it.

"I'm glad I could pull this off this week, it's sort of a dream come true being able to play a tournament on a golf course you helped design and end up winning it.

"This is the first event my daughters have been to where I won, this is very special."

edit *** That's it for the DP World Tour until the Dubai Invitational, January 11-13 2024 at Dubai Creek Resort.

However there is much to be resolved in the meantime, with the PGA Tour in talks with the Saudi backed PIF, and also a group of wealthy American Investors which will directly affect the DP World Tour.

It may also affect the future status of the two camps LIV vs PGA/DP World Tour who have the game under such disrepute, scrutiny and criticism from both the public and players. 

The endless money pit that the Saudi's are determined to throw at not just golf but pro sports in general will need to be addressed, their reasoning, and motivation by so few who rule their country. 

Giving away $300,000,000 to Jon Rahm is the latest example of undermining the finances of a pro sport (golf), where despite disparities that could be resolved, their memberships were making a handsome living with plenty of sponsorships and incentives to succeed.

Good sponsors are losing their star players, The Ryder Cup,, one of golf's crown jewels is being devalued. leaders like Jay Monahan and Keith Pelley are under acute criticism, greed has replaced charity..

In the words of so many concerned..  "pro golf right now is a mess "

europeantour.com 

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment