with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Phil Mickelson continues to tarnish his Hall of Fame legacy


Not unexpectedly in many quarters Phil Mickelson released a statement on Monday after officially signing a deal with LIV Golf Investments and announcing that he will play the first Invitational Series event this week outside of London, that will do nothing but continue to tarnish his brilliant golf legacy. No matter how he couched this statement, it simply is a way out of his current status on the PGA Tour and of course enable him to take what will be $125,000,000 from the endless pit of money from the Saudi's to help with what ever his personal financial plight is right now.

Having now made his bed, he must lie in it, and his declaration he "will continue to compete in the majors" leave us all wondering if the PGA of America, R&A along with USGA and the Masters Committee will allow that to happen. The first sign will come in a statement coming soon from the USGA who host the US Open at the Country Club in Brookline next week. 

Here's what he had to say.  

“First and foremost, I want to again apologize to the many people I offended and hurt with my comments a few months ago. I have made mistakes in my career in some of the things I have said and done,” Mickelson wrote in a statement posted to Twitter. “Taking time away and self-reflecting has been very humbling. I need to start prioritizing the people that I love the most and work on becoming a better version of myself ...

I am ready to come back to play the game I love but after 32 years this new path is a fresh start, one that is exciting for me at this stage of my career and is clearly transformative, not just for myself, but ideally for the game and my peers … I am incredibly grateful for what this game and the PGA Tour has given me. I would like to think that I have given back as well but now I am excited about this new opportunity.”

“I fully realize and respect some may disagree with this decision and have strong opinions and I empathize with that,” he continued. “I have a renewed spirit and excitement for the game. I am incredibly grateful for the support of my fans, partners, friends and peers and I hope in time, those sentiments, relationships and support continue.

If he had any guts, any shred of true remorse, no matter how unjust some of their inner mechanisms may be to him, he would have laid his head at the mercy of the PGA /DP World Tours, R&A, USGA, asking for their forgiveness and begging for a chance to return to their folds, where he had legendary status and personal wealth from a sparkling career, and where he had won the utmost respect from those who have watched and paid to see him.

Now all that is spoiled, dirty, unsavoury at best, leaving even the most casual fan of the game shaking his/her head in disbelief at one of their sporting heroes.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment