with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, August 6, 2021

No medals for Canadian Olympians at Tokyo 2020 Women's golf... 3rd round leaderboard

 Tokyo 2020. Women's Olympic Golf leaderboard here.

This Olympic Women's golf championship seems like a sprint to the finish rather than a marathon to me. Both our men and women did not get off to great starts in their opening rounds, and could not catch up to the leaders in their last two.

Corey Connors was the best of the bunch with a 66 65 weekend to get up to T13.

This week with a pair of 74's to open, then 68 E for Brooke and 71 +3 for Alena they were 13 and 16  shots out of the Nelly Korda lead.

Today Brooke had to start on the 10th tee and had had 3 bogey's and a birdie on her first nine, but 3 birdies and a bogey coming in for 71 E T40 and Alena had her best round -2 69 for +1 and a T44

Nelly Korda added at 69 to her tally today and leads by 3  shots at -15 and the gold is her's to win or lose.

" I really love that front nine, I played it away better all week, said Brooke, there's a couple of easy birdie holes for me like the par 5 fifth and the short par 4 6th, but the back side didn't give me 2 holes that gave me that.

Obviously it didn't go as well as I would have liked, I didn't hit it as well as I normally do, so I really had to grind it out. It's tough to keep it going when you are that far down the leaderboard, so I'm just plugging away, hope to make a few more birdies tomorrow."

Indian golfer Adita Ashok is second after a 68 -12 total and there is a log jam for the bronze, New Zealand's Lydia Ko, Aussie, Hannah Green, Denmark's Emily Pedersen and Iname Mone of Japan are all at -10

Weather; The tropical storm is coming it's just a question of when, so the field goes out in 3's again off split tees at 6.30am Tokyo time tomorrow to try and beat it. Both Brooke and Alena will begin on their favoured first tee.

So no medals for Brooke or Alena, but in the big picture another big gain in being Olympians for Canada once again. That will live with them forever no matter what the final round brings.

Bryan Angus 


No comments:

Post a Comment